Monday, February 1, 2016

The Introits, Collects, etc. Bl George Selwyn, Ss. Justin, Alphege, and Anselm

George Augustus Selwyn
(Bishop of New Zealand)
April 12

The Collect.

ALMIGHTY and everlasting God, we thank thee for thy servant George Augustus Selwyn, whom thou didst call to preach The Gospel to the people of New Zealand: Raise up, we pray thee, in this and every land, heralds and evangelists of thy kingdom, that thy Church may make known the unsearchable riches of Christ, and may increase with the increase of God; through the same thy Son Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

St. Justin
(Martyr at Rome)
April 14

The Collect.

ALMIGHTY God, who didst give thy servant Justin boldness to confess the Name of our Saviour Jesus Christ before the rulers of this world, and courage to die for this faith: Grant that we likewise may ever be ready to give a reason for the hope that is in us, and to suffer gladly for his sake; through the same Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

The Epistle, I Peter 3:14-18, 22.

IF ye suffer for righteousness' sake, happy are ye: and be not afraid of their terror, neither be troubled; but sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear: having a good conscience; that, whereas they speak evil of you, as of evildoers, they may be ashamed that falsely accuse your good conversation in Christ. For it is better, if the will of God be so, that ye suffer for well doing, than for evil doing. For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit: who is gone into heaven, and is on the right hand of God; angels and authorities and powers being made subject unto him.

The Gospel. St. John 12:44-50.

JESUS cried and said, He that believeth on me, believeth not on me, but on him that sent me. And he that seeth me seeth him that sent me. I am come a light into the world, that whosoever believeth on me should not abide in darkness. And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world. He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day. For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak. And I know that his commandment is life everlasting: whatsoever I speak therefore, even as the Father said unto me, so I speak.

St. Alphege
(Archbishop of Canterbury, and Martyr)
April 19

The Collect.

O GOD, who dost support and defend us with, the glorious witness of thy blessed martyr Alphege: Grant us to go forward in his footsteps, and ever to rejoice in fellowship with him; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.


St. Anselm
(Archbishop of Canterbury)
April 21

The Collect.

O GOD, who hast enlightened thy Church by the teaching of thy servant Anselm: Enrich us evermore, we beseech thee, with thy heavenly grace, and raise up faithful witnesses who by their life and doctrine will set forth the truth of thy salvation; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

The Epistle. Romans 1: 16-20.

FOR I am not ashamed of The Gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that be-lieveth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith. For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness; because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them. For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his. eternal power and Godhead.

The Gospel. St. John 7: i6-18; 8:12.


JESUS answered them, and said, My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me. If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself. He that speaketh of himself seeketh his. own glory: but he that seeketh his glory that sent him, the same is true, and no unrighteousness is in him. Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall' have the light of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment