Friday, February 19, 2016

Maundy Thursday

Maundy Thursday

Evensong and Matins being said as usual, the Holy Communion begins as usual, using the Introit, Collect, Epistle, and Gospel appointed.  When observed, the ceremony of the washing of feet appropriately follows the Gospel and homily. During this ceremony, the following or other suitable anthems may be sung or said

The Lord Jesus, after he had supped with his disciples and had washed their feet, said to them, “Do you know what I, your Lord and Master, have done to you?  I have given you an example, that you should do as I have done.”
I give you a new commandment: Love one another as I have loved you.
Peace is my last gift to you, my own peace I now leave with you; peace which the world cannot give, I give to you.
By this shall the world know that you are my disciples: That you have love for one another.

The service continues with the Creed.

Where it is desired to administer Holy Communion from the reserved Sacrament on Good Friday, the Sacrament for that purpose is consecrated at this service.

At the end of this service, the altar shall be stripped as the Choir chants Psalm 22

A Vigil may be kept before the alter from the end of this service until None on Good Friday.


At the cathedral on this day may be said the mass for the blessing of the Holy Oil for use at baptism and confirmation.

Chrism Mass

The Introit Psalm 23. Dominus regit me.

THE LORD is my shepherd; * therefore can I lack nothing.
    2 He shall feed me in a green pasture, * and lead me forth beside the waters of comfort.
    3 He shall convert my soul, * and bring me forth in the paths of righteousness for his Name’s sake.
    4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; * for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff comfort me.
    5 Thou shalt prepare a table before me in the presence of them that trouble me; * thou hast anointed my head with oil, and my cup shall be full.
    6 Surely1 thy loving-kindness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; * and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever. 

The Collect

O Almighty God, who didst by the power of the Holy Ghost anointed thy Son to be Messiah and Priest for ever, grant that all whom thou hast called to his service may confess the faith of Christ crucified, proclaim his resurrection, and share in his eternal priesthood; who liveth and reigneth with thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, one God, unto the ages of ages. Amen.


The Epistle  Rev 1:4-8

 John to the seven churches which are in Asia: Grace be unto you, and peace, from him which is, and which was, and which is to come; and from the seven Spirits which are before his throne,  And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood, And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen. Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen.I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.

The Gradual  Ps. 89:20-29

    20 Thou spakest sometime in visions unto thy saints, and saidst, * I have laid help upon one that is mighty, I have exalted one chosen out of the people.
    21 I have found David my servant; * with my holy oil have I anointed him.
    22 My hand shall hold him fast, * and my arm shall strengthen him.
    23 The enemy shall not be able to do him violence; * the son of wickedness shall not hurt him.
    24 I will smite down his foes before his face, * and plague them that hate him.
    25 My truth also and my mercy shall be with him; * and in my Name shall his horn be exalted.
    26 I will set his dominion also in the sea, * and his right hand in the floods.
    27 He shall call me, Thou art my Father, * my God, and my strong salvation.
    28 And I will make him my firstborn, * higher than the kings of the earth.
    29 My mercy will I keep for him for evermore, * and my covenant shall stand fast with him.

The Gospel Luke 4:16-21

16 And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read. And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Esaias. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written,  The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised, To preach the acceptable year of the Lord. And he closed the book, and he gave it again to the minister, and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him. And he began to say unto them, This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears.

Blessing of the Oil

Immediately after the post communion prayer, the ampulla is brought to the bishop, who places it on a small table in the sight of the congregation, or on the altar (the communion vessels having already been removed). Facing the people, the Bishop addresses them with these words

Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ: In the beginning, the Spirit of God hovered over the creation; and, throughout history, God, by the gift of the Holy Ghost, has empowered his people to serve him. As a sign of that gift, the priests and kings of Israel were anointed with oil; and our Lord Jesus was himself anointed with the Holy Spirit at his Baptism as the Christ, God’s own Messiah. At Baptism, Christians are likewise anointed by that same Spirit to empower them for God’s service. Let us now bless this oil to be the sign of that anointing. Let us pray.

The Bishop then places a hand on the vessel of oil and prays

Eternal Father, whose blessed Son was anointed by the Holy Ghost to be the Savior and servant of all, we pray thee to consecrate this oil, that those who are sealed with it may share in the royal priesthood of Jesus Christ; who liveth and reigneth with thee and the Holy Spirit, one God, world without end. Amen.


The Liturgy then concludes in the usual way with the Bishop’s blessing and the dismissal.

No comments:

Post a Comment