Tuesday, February 23, 2016

All Saints Day

All Saints Day
If an extended vigil is desired on All Hallows Eve or an extended service is desired on All Saints Day, then the following may be used.

Readings

The First Reading Ecclesiasticus 44:1-10,13-14

Let us now praise famous men, and our fathers that begat us. The Lord hath wrought great glory by them through his great power from the beginning. Such as did bear rule in their kingdoms, men renowned for their power, giving counsel by their understanding, and declaring prophecies: Leaders of the people by their counsels, and by their knowledge of learning meet for the people, wise and eloquent are their instructions: Such as found out musical tunes, and recited verses in writing: Rich men furnished with ability, living peaceably in their habitations: All these were honoured in their generations, and were the glory of their times. There be of them, that have left a name behind them, that their praises might be reported. And some there be, which have no memorial; who are perished, as though they had never been; and are become as though they had never been born; and their children after them. But these were merciful men, whose righteousness hath not been forgotten. Their seed shall remain for ever, and their glory shall not be blotted out. Their bodies are buried in peace; but their name liveth for evermore.

The First Gradual Psalm 30. Exaltabo te, Domine.

I WILL magnify thee, O LORD; for thou hast set me up, * and not made my foes to triumph over me.
    2 O LORD my God, I cried unto thee; * and thou hast healed me.
    3 Thou, LORD, hast brought my soul out of hell: * thou hast kept my life, that I should not go down into the pit.
    4 Sing praises unto the LORD, O ye saints of his; * and give thanks unto him, for a remembrance of his holiness.
    5 For his wrath endureth but the twinkling of an eye, and in his pleasure is life; * heaviness may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning.
    6 And in my prosperity I said, I shall never be removed: * thou, LORD, of thy goodness, hast made my hill so strong.
    7 Thou didst turn thy face from me, * and I was troubled.
    8 Then cried I unto thee, O LORD; * and gat me to my LORD right humbly.
    9 What profit is there in my blood, * when I go down into the pit?
    10 Shall the dust give thanks unto thee? * or shall it declare thy truth?
    11 Hear, O LORD, and have mercy upon me; * LORD, be thou my helper.
    12 Thou hast turned my heaviness into joy; * thou hast put off my sackcloth, and girded me with gladness:
    13 Therefore shall every good man sing of thy praise without ceasing. * O my God, I will give thanks unto thee for ever.


Then maybe read lives of various saints, such as the patron of the church, diocese, etc. and other that it is desired to be memorialized. Psalms, Canticles and Hymns maybe sung after each such reading.


The Litany

The Litany may be said with the following inserted after the prayers to the Holy Trinity. After each name shall be said “pray for us.” Also any other saints may be mentioned and if there is a local cult of former bishop, rector, or lay person, they may be mentioned.



Holy St. Mary,
Holy Theotokos
Holy Virgin of Virgins
St. Michael
St. Gabriel
St. Raphael
All holy Angles and Archangels
All holy orders of blessed spirits
Abraham
Moses
Elijah
Jeremiah
Ezekiel
 Daniel
Hosea
Amos
Micha
Joel
Obadiah
Jonah
Nahum
Habakkuk
Zephaniah
Haggai
Zechariah
Malachi
St. John the Baptist
St. Joseph
All holy Patriarchs and Prophets,
St. Andrew, the first called
St. Peter
St. John, the beloved
St James, son of Zebedee
St. Philip
St. Bartholomew
St. Thomas
St. James, son of Alphaeus
St. Jude
St. Simon, the Zealot
St, Mathias
St James, the Brother of the Lord
St. Paul
St. Barnabus
St. Titus
All Holy Apostles and Disciples
The Holy Innocents
St. Stephen
St. Ignatius of Antioch
St. Polycarp
St. Justin
St. Alban
St. Thomas of Canterbury
The Blessed Thomas Cranmer
All Holy Martyrs,
St. Sylvester
St. Gregory
St. Hilary
St. Martin
St. Remigius
St. Austine of Canterbury
Blessed John Henry Hobart
All Holy Confessors
St. Mary Magdalene
St. Felicitas
St. Perpetua
St. Agatha
St.  Agnes
St. Cecilia
St. Scholastica
All Holy Virgins
All the blessed company of Heaven.



Blessing of the Fount
Then shall be held the blessing of the fount as at Easter

Mass of the Catechumens

The Mass of the Catechumens shall then proceed with the following readings.

The Lesson. Wisdom iii. 1-8.

The souls of the righteous are in the hand of God, and there shall no torment touch them. In the sight of the unwise they seemed to die: and their departure is taken for misery, And their going from us to be utter destruction: but they are in peace. For though they be punished in the sight of men, yet is their hope full of immortality. And having been a little chastised, they shall be greatly rewarded: for God proved them, and found them worthy for himself. As gold in the furnace hath he tried them, and received them as a burnt offering. And in the time of their visitation they shall shine, and run to and fro like sparks among the stubble. They shall judge the nations, and have dominion over the people, and their Lord shall reign for ever.

The Gospel. John xv. 5-7.

I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing. If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned. If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.



The creed shall be omitted  

No comments:

Post a Comment