Thursday, February 25, 2016

The Faithful Departed

The Faithful Departed

The Morning and Evening Service to be used to commemorate the dead, shall be the same which is appointed in this book with the following alterations.
Evensong
The service shall commence with the psalms as follows, all previous being omitted.

Psalm 114. In exitu Israel.

Ant: I will please our Lord in the country of the living.

WHEN Israel came out of Egypt, * and the house of Jacob from among the strange people,
    2 Judah was his sanctuary, * and Israel his dominion.
    3 The sea saw that, and fled; * Jordan was driven back.
    4 The mountains skipped like rams, * and the little hills like young sheep.
    5 What aileth thee, O thou sea, that thou fleddest? * and thou Jordan, that thou wast driven back?
    6 Ye mountains, that ye skipped like rams? * and ye little hills, like young sheep?
    7 Tremble, thou earth, at the presence of the Lord: * at the presence of the God of Jacob;
    8 Who turned the hard rock into a standing water, * and the flint-stone into a springing well.
Eternal rest give unto them O Lord: * and let perpetual light shine unto them.

Psalm 120. Ad Dominum.

Ant: Woe is me O Lord, that my abode is prolonged.

WHEN I was in trouble, I called upon the LORD, * and he heard me.
    2 Deliver my soul, O L
ORD, from lying lips, * and from a deceitful tongue.
    3 What reward shall be given or done unto thee, thou false tongue? * even mighty and sharp arrows, with hot burning coals.
4 Woe is me, that I am constrained to dwell with Meshech, * and to have my habitation among the tents of Kedar!
    5 My soul hath long dwelt among them * that are enemies unto peace.
    6 I labour for peace; but when I speak unto them thereof, * they make them ready to battle.
Eternal rest give unto them O Lord: * and let perpetual light shine unto them.

Psalm 121. Levavi oculos.

Ant: Our Lord doth keep thee from all evil, our Lord can keep thy soul.

I WILL lift up mine eyes unto the hills; * from whence cometh my help?
    2 My help cometh even from the LORD, * who hath made heaven and earth.
    3 He will not suffer thy foot to be moved; * and he that keepeth thee will not sleep.
    4 Behold, he that keepeth Israel * shall neither slumber nor sleep.
    5 The LORD himself is thy keeper; * the LORD is thy defence upon thy right hand;
    6 So that the sun shall not burn thee by day, * neither the moon by night.
    7 The LORD shall preserve thee from all evil; * yea, it is even he that shall keep thy soul.
    8 The LORD shall preserve thy going out, and thy coming in, * from this time forth for evermore.
Eternal rest give unto them O Lord: * and let perpetual light shine unto them.

Psalm 130. De profundis.

Ant: If thou O Lord observe iniquities, O Lord who shall be able to endure it?

OUT of the deep have I called unto thee, O LORD; * Lord, hear my voice.
    2 O let thine ears consider well * the voice of my complaint.
    3 If thou, L
ORD, wilt be extreme to mark what is done amiss, * O Lord, who may abide it?
    4 For there is mercy with thee; * therefore shalt thou be feared.
    5 I look for the L
ORD; my soul doth wait for him; * in his word is my trust.
     6 My soul fleeth unto the Lord before the morning watch; * I say, before the morning watch.
    7 O Israel, trust in the LORD; for with the LORD there is mercy, * and with him is plenteous redemption.
    8 And he shall redeem Israel * from all his sins.
Eternal rest give unto them O Lord: * and let perpetual light shine unto them.

Psalm 138. Confitebor tibi.

Ant: The works of thy hands dispise not O Lord.

I WILL give thanks unto thee, O Lord, with my whole heart; * even before the gods will I sing praise unto thee.
    2 I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy Name, because of thy loving-kindness and truth; * for thou hast magnified thy Name, and thy word, above all things.
    3 When I called upon thee, thou heardest me; * and enduedst my soul with much strength.
    4 All the kings of the earth shall praise thee, O L
ORD; * for they have heard the words of thy mouth.
5 Yea, they shall sing of the ways of the LORD, * that great is the glory of the LORD.
    6 For though the LORD be high, yet hath he respect unto the lowly; * as for the proud, he beholdeth them afar off.
    7 Though I walk in the midst of trouble, yet shalt thou refresh me; * thou shalt stretch forth thy hand upon the furiousness of mine enemies, and thy right hand shall save me.
    8 The LORD shall make good his loving-kindness toward me; * yea, thy mercy, O LORD, endureth for ever; despise not then the works of thine own hands.
Eternal rest give unto them O Lord: * and let perpetual light shine unto them.

Then will be read the readings and canticles

Wisdom 4:7-20

But though the righteous be prevented with death, yet shall he be in rest.  For honourable age is not that which standeth in length of time, nor that is measured by number of years.  But wisdom is the gray hair unto men, and an unspotted life is old age.  He pleased God, and was beloved of him: so that living among sinners he was translated.  Yea speedily was he taken away, lest that wickedness should alter his understanding, or deceit beguile his soul. For the bewitching of naughtiness doth obscure things that are honest; and the wandering of concupiscence doth undermine the simple mind. He, being made perfect in a short time, fulfilled a long time: For his soul pleased the Lord: therefore hasted he to take him away from among the wicked.  This the people saw, and understood it not, neither laid they up this in their minds, That his grace and mercy is with his saints, and that he hath respect unto his chosen. Thus the righteous that is dead shall condemn the ungodly which are living; and youth that is soon perfected the many years and old age of the unrighteous. For they shall see the end of the wise, and shall not understand what God in his counsel hath decreed of him, and to what end the Lord hath set him in safety. They shall see him, and despise him; but God shall laugh them to scorn: and they shall hereafter be a vile carcase, and a reproach among the dead for evermore. For he shall rend them, and cast them down headlong, that they shall be speechless; and he shall shake them from the foundation; and they shall be utterly laid waste, and be in sorrow; and their memorial shall perish. And when they cast up the accounts of their sins, they shall come with fear: and their own iniquities shall convince them to their face.

Magnificat. St. Luke i. 46.  

Ant: All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.
MY soul doth magnify the Lord : and my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour.
    For he hath regarded : the lowliness of his handmaiden.
    For behold, from henceforth : all generations shall call me blessed.
    For he that is mighty hath magnified me : and holy is his Name.
    And his mercy is on them that fear him : throughout all generations.
    He hath showed strength with his arm : he hath scattered the proud in the imagination of their hearts.
    He hath put down the mighty from their seat : and hath exalted the humble and meek.
    He hath filled the hungry with good things : and the rich he hath sent empty away.
    He remembering his mercy hath holpen his servant Israel : as he promised to our forefathers, Abraham and his seed, for ever.

Eternal rest give unto them O Lord: * and let perpetual light shine unto them.

1 Thessalonians 4:13-18

But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope.  For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.  For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.  For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:  then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.  Wherefore comfort one another with these words.

Nunc dimittis. St. Luke ii. 29.

LORD, now lettest thou thy servant depart in peace : according to thy word.
    For mine eyes have seen : thy salvation,
    Which thou hast prepared : before the face of all people;
    To be a light to lighten the Gentiles : and to be the glory of thy people Israel.

Eternal rest give unto them O Lord: * and let perpetual light shine unto them.
The bidding shall be omitted and then shall be said the Lord’s Prayer followed by these versicles and responses.

V. From the gates of hell.
R. Deliver their souls (or his or her soul), O Lord.
V. May they (or he or she) rest in peace.
R. Amen.
V. Lord, hear my prayer.
R. And let my cry come to you.

Then shall be said the following collects in place of those usually said.

O God, the Maker and Redeemer of all believers; Grant to the faithful departed the unsearchable benefits of the passion of your Son; that on the day of his appearing they may be manifested as your children.

O God, whose mercies cannot be numbered: accept our prayers on behalf of the souls of thy departed servants; and grant them an entrance into the land of light and joy, in the fellowship of your Saints. Through Jesus Christ our Lord who liveth and reigneth with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, unto the end of the age. Amen.

The office shall conclude with the following

V: Rest eternal grant unto them, O Lord.
R: And let light perpetual shine upon them.
V: May they rest in peace.
R: Amen.

Matins

The service shall commence with the invitatory as follows, all previous being omitted. 

Venite, exultemus Domino.

The King, by whom and in whom all things live and move and have their being, * O come, let us worship.
O COME, let us sing unto the LORD ; let us heartily rejoice in the strength of our salvation.
    Let us come before his presence with thanksgiving : and show ourselves glad in him with psalms.

The King, by whom and in whom all things live and move and have their being, * O come, let us worship.

For the LORD is a great God : and a great King above all gods.
    In his hand are all the corners of the earth : and the strength of the hills is his also.
The sea is his, and he made it; * and his hands prepared the dry land.

The King, by whom and in whom all things live and move and have their being, * O come, let us worship.

O come, let us worship and fall down, * and kneel before the LORD our Maker.
    For he is the Lord our God; * and we are the people of his pasture, and the sheep of his hand.

The King, by whom and in whom all things live and move and have their being, * O come, let us worship.

O worship the LORD in the beauty of holiness; * let the whole earth stand in awe of him.
    For he cometh, for he cometh to judge the earth; * and with righteousness to judge the world, and the people with his truth.

The King, by whom and in whom all things live and move and have their being, * O come, let us worship.
Eternal rest give unto them O Lord: * and let perpetual light shine unto them.
The King, by whom and in whom all things live and move and have their being, * O come, let us worship.

Psalm 51. Miserere mei, Deus.

Ant: the bones which thou hast broken may rejoice.

HAVE mercy upon me, O God, after thy great goodness; * according to the multitude of thy mercies do away mine offences.
    2 Wash me throughly from my wickedness, * and cleanse me from my sin.
    3 For I acknowledge my faults, * and my sin is ever before me.
    4 Against thee only have I sinned, and done this evil in thy sight; * that thou mightest be justified in thy saying, and clear when thou shalt judge.
    5 Behold, I was shapen in wickedness, * and in sin hath my mother conceived me.
    6 But lo, thou requirest truth in the inward parts, * and shalt make me to understand wisdom secretly.
    7 Thou shalt purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean; * thou shalt wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
    8 Thou shalt make me hear of joy and gladness, * that the bones which thou hast broken may rejoice.
    9 Turn thy face from my sins, * and put out all my misdeeds.
    10 Make me a clean heart, O God, * and renew a right spirit within me.
    11 Cast me not away from thy presence, * and take not thy holy Spirit from me.
    12 O give me the comfort of thy help again, * and stablish me with thy free Spirit.
    13 Then shall I teach thy ways unto the wicked, * and sinners shall be converted unto thee.
    14 Deliver me from blood-guiltiness, O God, thou that art the God of my health; * and my tongue shall sing of thy righteousness.
    15 Thou shalt open my lips, O Lord, * and my mouth shall show thy praise.
    16 For thou desirest no sacrifice, else would I give it thee; * but thou delightest not in burnt-offerings.
    17 The sacrifice of God is a troubled spirit: * a broken and contrite heart, O God, shalt thou not despise.
    18 O be favourable and gracious unto Sion; * build thou the walls of Jerusalem.
    19 Then shalt thou be pleased with the sacrifice of righteousness, with the burnt-offerings and oblations; * then shall they offer young bullocks upon thine altar.
Eternal rest give unto them O Lord: * and let perpetual light shine unto them.

Psalm 23. Dominus regit me.

Ant: Make your way, O Lord, straight before me.

THE LORD is my shepherd; * therefore can I lack nothing.
    2 He shall feed me in a green pasture, * and lead me forth beside the waters of comfort.
    3 He shall convert my soul, * and bring me forth in the paths of righteousness for his Name’s sake.
    4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; * for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff comfort me.
    5 Thou shalt prepare a table before me in the presence of them that trouble me; * thou hast anointed my head with oil, and my cup shall be full.
6 Surely thy loving-kindness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; * and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.
Eternal rest give unto them O Lord: * and let perpetual light shine unto them.

Psalm 25. Ad te, Domine, levavi.

Ant: Turn, O Lord, and deliver me: for in death no one remembers you.

UNTO thee, O LORD, will I lift up my soul; my God, I have put my trust in thee: * O let me not be confounded, neither let mine enemies triumph over me.
    2 For all they that hope in thee shall not be ashamed; * but such as transgress without a cause shall be put to confusion.
    3 Show me thy ways, O LORD, * and teach me thy paths.
    4 Lead me forth in thy truth, and learn me: * for thou art the God of my salvation; in thee hath been my hope all the day long.
    5 Call to remembrance, O LORD, thy tender mercies, * and thy loving-kindnesses, which have been ever of old.
    6 O remember not the sins and offences of my youth; * but according to thy mercy think thou upon me, O LORD, for thy goodness.
    7 Gracious and righteous is the LORD; * therefore, will he teach sinners in the way.
    8 Them that are meek shall he guide in judgment; * and such as are gentle, them shall he learn his way.
    9 All the paths of the LORD are mercy and truth, * unto such as keep his covenant and his testimonies.
    10 For thy Name's sake, O LORD, * be merciful unto my sin; for it is great.
    11 What man is he that feareth the LORD? * him shall he teach in the way that he shall choose.
    12 His soul shall dwell at ease, * and his seed shall inherit the land.
    13 The secret of the LORD is among them that fear him; * and he will show them his covenant.
    14 Mine eyes are ever looking unto the LORD; * for he shall pluck my feet out of the net.
    15 Turn thee unto me, and have mercy upon me; * for I am desolate, and in misery.
    16 The sorrows of my heart are enlarged: * O bring thou me out of my troubles.
    17 Look upon my adversity and misery, * and forgive me all my sin.
    18 Consider mine enemies, how many they are; * and they bear a tyrannous hate against me.
    19 O keep my soul, and deliver me: * let me not be confounded, for I have put my trust in thee.
    20 Let perfectness and righteous dealing wait upon me; * for my hope hath been in thee.
    21 Deliver Israel, O God, * out of all his troubles.
Eternal rest give unto them O Lord: * and let perpetual light shine unto them.

Psalm 27. Dominus illuminatio.

Ant: I will walk in the presence of the Lord in the land of the living.

THE LORD is my light and my salvation; whom then shall I fear? * the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom then shall I be afraid?
    2 When the wicked, even mine enemies and my foes, came upon me to eat up my flesh, * they stumbled and fell.
    3 Though an host of men were laid against me, yet shall not my heart be afraid; * and though there rose up war against me, yet will I put my trust in him.
    4 One thing have I desired of the L
ORD, which I will require; * even that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the fair beauty of the LORD, and to visit his temple.
    5 For in the time of trouble he shall hide me in his tabernacle; * yea, in the secret place of his dwelling shall he hide me, and set me up upon a rock of stone.
    6 And now shall he lift up mine head * above mine enemies round about me.
    7 Therefore will I offer in his dwelling an oblation, with great gladness: * I will sing and speak praises unto the L
ORD.
    8 Hearken unto my voice, O L
ORD, when I cry unto thee; * have mercy upon me, and hear me.
    9 My heart hath talked of thee, Seek ye my face: * Thy face, L
ORD, will I seek.
    10 O hide not thou thy face from me, * nor cast thy servant away in displeasure.
    11 Thou hast been my succour; * leave me not, neither forsake me, O God of my salvation.
    12 When my father and my mother forsake me, * the L
ORD taketh me up.
    13 Teach me thy way, O L
ORD, * and lead me in the right way, because of mine enemies.
    14 Deliver me not over into the will of mine adversaries: * for there are false witnesses risen up against me, and such as speak wrong.
    15 I should utterly have fainted, * but that I believe verily to see the goodness of the L
ORD in the land of the living.
    16 O tarry thou the L
ORD’S leisure; * be strong, and he shall comfort thine heart; and put thou thy trust in the LORD.
Eternal rest give unto them O Lord: * and let perpetual light shine unto them.

Then will be read the readings and canticles

Job 19:21-27

Have pity upon me, have pity upon me, O ye my friends; for the hand of God hath touched me. Why do ye persecute me as God, and are not satisfied with my flesh? Oh that my words were now written!
oh that they were printed in a book! That they were graven with an iron pen and lead in the rock for ever! For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth: and though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God: whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another; though my reins be consumed within me.

Ego dixi in dimidio Is. 38:10-20

I said: In the noontide of my days * I must depart for the gates of hell.
I sought for the remainder of my years. * I said, I shall not see the Lord in the land of the living.
I shall look upon mortals no more, * nor the inhabitants of the land of rest.
My dwelling is plucked up and removed from me * as if it were a shepherd's tent.
My life has been rolled up as if by a weaver, he cuts me off from the loom: * from day to night you bring me to an end.
I cry for help until morning, * Like a lion he breaks all my bones.
From day to night you bring me to an end: * Like a swallow or a crane I will clamor, I will moan like a dove.
My eyes are weary * with looking upward.
O Lord, I am oppressed; be my security! * What can I say, or what can he answer, because he himself has done it?
Before you I will call to mind all my years * in the bitterness of my soul.
O Lord, if by these things people live, and in all these is the life of my spirit,
you shall restore me to health and make me live. * Behold, in peace my bitterness is most bitter.
You have held back my life from the pit of destruction: * You have cast all my sins behind your back.
For hell cannot thank you, death cannot praise you; * those who go down to the pit cannot hope for your faithfulness.
The living, the living, they thank you, as I do this day; * fathers make known to the children your faithfulness.
O Lord, save me, * and we will sing our psalms all the days of our lives, in the house of the Lord.
Eternal rest give unto them O Lord: * and let perpetual light shine unto them.

1 Corinthians 15:35-41

But some man will say, How are the dead raised up? and with what body do they come? Thou fool, that which thou sowest is not quickened, except it die: And that which thou sowest, thou sowest not that body that shall be, but bare grain, it may chance of wheat, or of some other grain: But God giveth it a body as it hath pleased him, and to every seed his own body. All flesh is not the same flesh: but there is one kind of flesh of men, another flesh of beasts, another of fishes, and another of birds. There are also celestial bodies, and bodies terrestrial: but the glory of the celestial is one, and the glory of the terrestrial is another. There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars: for one star differeth from another star in glory.

Benedictus. St. Luke i. 68.

Ant: I am * the resurrection and the life: he who believes in me, though he die yet shall he live; and who ever lives and believes in me, shall never die.
BLESSED be the Lord God of Israel; * for he hath visited and redeemed his people;
    And hath raised up a mighty salvation for us, * in the house of his servant David;
    As he spake by the mouth of his holy Prophets, * which have been since the world began;
    That we should be saved from our enemies, * and from the hand of all that hate us.

    To perform the mercy promised to our forefathers, * and to remember his holy covenant;
    To perform the oath which he sware to our forefather Abraham, * that he would give us;
    That we being delivered out of the hand of our enemies * might serve him without fear;
    In holiness and righteousness before him, * all the days of our life.
    And thou, child, shalt be called the prophet of the Highest: * for thou shalt go. before the face of the Lord to prepare his ways;
    To give knowledge of salvation unto his people * for the remission of their sins,
    Through the tender mercy of our God; * whereby the day-spring from on high hath visited us;
    To give light to them that sit in darkness, and in the shadow of death, * and to guide our feet into the way of peace.

Eternal rest give unto them O Lord: * and let perpetual light shine unto them.

The bidding shall be omitted and then shall be said the Lord’s Prayer followed by these vesicles and responses.

V. From the gates of hell.
R. Deliver their souls (or his or her soul), O Lord.
V. May they (or he or she) rest in peace.
R. Amen.
V. Lord, hear my prayer.
R. And let my cry come to you.

Then shall be said the following collects in place of those usually said.

O God, the Maker and Redeemer of all mankind; Grant to the faithful departed the unsearchable benefits of the passion of your Son; that on the day of his appearing they may be manifested as your children.

O God, whose mercies cannot be numbered: accept our prayers on behalf of the souls of your departed servants; and grant them an entrance into the land of light and joy, in the fellowship of your Saints. Through Jesus Christ our Lord who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever. Amen.

The office shall conclude with the following

V: Rest eternal grant unto them, O Lord.
R: And let light perpetual shine upon them.
V: May they rest in peace.

R: Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment