Sunday, February 21, 2016

Good Friday: Anti-communion/Mass of the Presanctified, Solemn Collects, Tenebrae


Good Friday

Evensong, Matins, and Anti Communion shall be said without note on this day. On this day the ministers enter in silence. All then kneel for silent prayer, after which Psalm 22 is recited. Then the Celebrant stands and begins the liturgy. 

The reading of the Passion Gospel during the Anti-Communion is announced in the following manner.

The Passion of our Lord Jesus Christ according to St. John.

The customary responses before and after the Gospel are omitted.

The Passion Gospel may be read by lay persons. Specific roles may be assigned to different persons, the congregation taking the part of the crowd. The congregation may be seated for the first part of the Passion. At the verse which mentions the arrival at Golgotha Matthew 27:33, all stand.

Then shall be heard the sermon and Creed followed by.

The Solemn Collects

The Deacon, says to the people

Dear People of God: Our heavenly Father sent his Son into the world, not to condemn the world, but that the world through him might be saved; that all who believe in him might be delivered from the power of sin and death, and become heirs with him of everlasting life. We pray, therefore, for people everywhere according to their several necessities.

Then shall follow intercessions from this book or authorized by the ordinary and the Solemn Collects as follows.

ALMIGHTY God, we beseech thee graciously to behold this thy family, for which our Lord Jesus Christ was contented to be betrayed and given up into the hands of wicked men, and to suffer death upon the cross; who now liveth and reigneth with thee and the Holy Ghost ever, one God, world without end. Amen.

ALMIGHTY and everlasting God, by whose Spirit the whole body of the Church is governed and sanctified; Receive our supplications and prayers, which we offer before thee for all estates of men in thy holy Church, that every member of the same, in his vocation and ministry, may truly and godly serve thee; through our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. Amen.

O MERCIFUL God, who hast made all men, and hatest nothing that thou hast made, nor desirest the death of a sinner, but rather that he should be converted and live; Have mercy upon all who know thee not as thou art revealed in the Gospel of thy Son. Take from them all ignorance, hardness of heart, and contempt of thy Word; and so fetch them home, blessed Lord, to thy flock, that they may be saved among the remnant of the true Israelites, and be made one fold under one shepherd, Jesus Christ our Lord, who liveth and reigneth with thee and the Holy Spirit, one God, world without end. Amen.

If the Anti Communion only is to be celebrated, the liturgy shall end here with the Prayer following. If Communion of the Pre Sanctified is to be given, then shall follow the confession, comfortable words, and Lords Prayer. Then the Elements shall be administered with the words from the Communion Service. This shall be followed by the Post Communion Prayer and the prayer following.

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the living God, we pray thee to set thy passion, cross, and death between thy judgment and our souls, now and in the hour of our death.  Grant mercy and grace to the living; pardon and rest to the dead; to thy holy Church peace and concord; and to us sinners everlasting life and glory; for with the Father and the Holy Spirit thou livest and reignest, one God, now and unto the ages of ages.  Amen.

On this day, in addition to Matins, Anti Communion and Evensong, devotions such as the little hours and office for the dead may be said, as may such devotions as are authorized by the Ordinary. Vigils of Holy Saturday may be anticipated on this day in the following manner.
 
Propers for Tenebrae

The Introit

Darkness there was over all the land from the sixth hour unto the ninth hour
And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?
And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost.

First Nocturn

The Psalms

Psalm 69. Salvum me fac.

Antiphon: Zeal for thy house hast eaten me up; * the scorn of those who scorn thee hast fallen upon me..

SAVE me, O God; * for the waters are come in, even unto my soul.
2 I stick fast in the deep mire, where no ground is; * I am come into deep waters, so that the floods run over me.
3 I am weary of crying; my throat is dry; * my sight faileth me for waiting so long upon my God.
4 They that hate me without a cause are more than the hairs of my head; * they that are mine enemies, and would destroy me guiltless, are mighty.
5 I paid them the things that I never took: * God, thou knowest my simpleness, and my faults are not hid from thee.
6 Let not them that trust in thee, O Lord GOD of hosts, be ashamed for my cause; * let not those that seek thee be confounded through me, O Lord God of Israel.
7 And why? for thy sake have I suffered reproof; * shame hath covered my face.
8 I am become a stranger unto my brethren, * even an alien unto my mother's children.
9 For the zeal of thine house hath even eaten me; * and the rebukes of them that rebuked thee are fallen upon me.
10 I wept, and chastened myself with fasting, * and that was turned to my reproof.
11 I put on sackcloth also, * and they jested upon me.
12 They that sit in the gate speak against me, * and the drunkards make songs upon me.
13 But, LORD, I make my prayer unto thee * in an acceptable time.
14 Hear me, O God, in the multitude of thy mercy, * even in the truth of thy salvation.
15 Take me out of the mire, that I sink not; * O let me be delivered from them that hate me, and out of the deep waters.
16 Let not the water-flood drown me, neither let the deep swallow me up; * and let not the pit shut her mouth upon me.
17 Hear me, O LORD, for thy loving-kindness is comfortable; * turn thee unto me according to the multitude of thy mercies.
18 And hide not thy face from thy servant; for I am in trouble: * O haste thee, and hear me.
19 Draw nigh unto my soul, and save it; * O deliver me, because of mine enemies.
20 Thou hast known my reproach, my shame, and my dishonour: * mine adversaries are all in thy sight.
21 Reproach hath broken my heart; I am full of heaviness: * I looked for some to have pity on me, but there was no man, neither found I any to comfort me.
22 They gave me gall to eat; * and when I was thirsty they gave me vinegar to drink.
23 Let their table be made a snare to take themselves withal; * and let the things that should have been for their wealth be unto them an occasion of falling.
24 Let their eyes be blinded, that they see not; * and ever bow thou down their backs.
25 Pour out thine indignation upon them, * and let thy wrathful displeasure take hold of them.
26 Let their habitation be void, * and no man to dwell in their tents.
27 For they persecute him whom thou hast smitten; * and they talk how they may vex them whom thou hast wounded.
28 Let them fall from one wickedness to another, * and not come into thy righteousness.
29 Let them be wiped out of the book of the living, * and not be written among the righteous.
30 As for me, when I am poor and in heaviness, * thy help, O God, shall lift me up.
31 I will praise the Name of God with a song, * and magnify it with thanksgiving.
32 This also shall please the LORD * better than a bullock that hath horns and hoofs.
33 The humble shall consider this, and be glad: * seek ye after God, and your soul shall live.
34 For the LORD heareth the poor, * and despiseth not his prisoners.
35 Let heaven and earth praise him: * the sea, and all that moveth therein.
36 For God will save Sion, and build the cities of Judah, * that men may dwell there, and have it in possession.
37 The posterity also of his servants shall inherit it; * and they that love his Name shall dwell therein.

Psalm 70. Deus, in adjutorium.

Antiphon: Let them be ashamed, and confounded together, * that seek after my soul to destroy it

HASTE thee, O God, to deliver me; * make haste to help me, O LORD.
2 Let them be ashamed and confounded that seek after my soul; * let them be turned backward and put to confusion that wish me evil.
3 Let them for their reward be soon brought to shame, * that cry over me, There! there!
4 But let all those that seek thee be joyful and glad in thee: * and let all such as delight in thy salvation say alway, The Lord be praised.
5 As for me, I am poor and in misery: * haste thee unto me, O God.
6 Thou art my helper, and my redeemer: * O LORD, make no long tarrying.

Psalm 74. Ut quid, Deus?

Antiphon: Arise, O God, * maintain thine own cause.

O GOD, wherefore art thou absent from us so long? * why is thy wrath so hot against the sheep of thy pasture?
2 O think upon thy congregation, * whom thou hast purchased, and redeemed of old.
3 Think upon the tribe of thine inheritance, * and Mount Sion, wherein thou hast dwelt.
4 Lift up thy feet, that thou mayest utterly destroy every enemy, * which hath done evil in thy sanctuary.
5 Thine adversaries roar in the midst of thy congregations, * and set up their banners for tokens.
6 He that hewed timber afore out of the thick trees, * was known to bring it to an excellent work.
7 But now they break down all the carved work thereof * with axes and hammers.
8 They have set fire upon thy holy places, * and have defiled the dwelling-place of thy Name, even unto the ground.
9 Yea, they said in their hearts, Let us make havoc of them altogether: * thus have they burnt up all the houses of God in the land.
10 We see not our tokens; there is not one prophet more; * no, not one is there among us, that understandeth any more.
11 O God, how long shall the adversary do this dishonour? * shall the enemy blaspheme thy Name for ever.
12 Why withdrawest thou thy hand? * why pluckest thou not thy right hand out of thy bosom to consume the enemy.
13 For God is my King of old; * the help that is done upon earth, he doeth it himself.
14 Thou didst divide the sea through thy power; * thou brakest the heads of the dragons in the waters.
15 Thou smotest the heads of leviathan in pieces, * and gavest him to be meat for the people of the wilderness.
16 Thou broughtest out fountains and waters out of the hard rocks; * thou driedst up mighty waters.
17 The day is thine, and the night is thine; * thou hast prepared the light and the sun.
18 Thou hast set all the borders of the earth; * thou hast made summer and winter.
19 Remember this, O LORD, how the enemy hath rebuked; * and how the foolish people hath blasphemed thy Name.
20 O deliver not the soul of thy turtle-dove unto the multitude of the enemies; * and forget not the congregation of the poor for ever.
21 Look upon the covenant; * for all the earth is full of darkness and cruel habitations.
22 O let not the simple go away ashamed; * but let the poor and needy give praise unto thy Name.
23 Arise, O God, maintain thine own cause; * remember how the foolish man blasphemeth thee daily.
24 Forget not the voice of thine enemies: * the presumption of them that hate thee increaseth ever more and more.

First Reading Lamantations 1:1-5

How doth the city sit solitary, that was full of people! how is she become as a widow! she that was great among the nations, and princess among the provinces, how is she become tributary! She weepeth sore in the night, and her tears are on her cheeks: among all her lovers she hath none to comfort her: all her friends have dealt treacherously with her, they are become her enemies. Judah is gone into captivity because of affliction, and because of great servitude: she dwelleth among the heathen, she findeth no rest: all her persecutors overtook her between the straits. The ways of Zion do mourn, because none come to the solemn feasts: all her gates are desolate: her priests sigh, her virgins are afflicted, and she is in bitterness. Her adversaries are the chief, her enemies prosper; for the Lord hath afflicted her for the multitude of her transgressions: her children are gone into captivity before the enemy. 

First Responsory

On the mount of Olives, Jesus prayed unto the Father:
Father, if it be possible,
let this cup pass from me.
The spirit indeed is willing,
but the flesh is weak.

V. Watch and pray, that you may not enter into temptation.
R. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.

Second Reading

And from the daughter of Zion all her beauty is departed: her princes are become like harts that find no pasture, and they are gone without strength before the pursuer. Jerusalem remembered in the days of her affliction and of her miseries all her pleasant things that she had in the days of old, when her people fell into the hand of the enemy, and none did help her: the adversaries saw her, and did mock at her sabbaths. Jerusalem hath grievously sinned; therefore she is removed: all that honoured her despise her, because they have seen her nakedness: yea, she sigheth, and turneth backward. Her filthiness is in her skirts; she remembereth not her last end; therefore she came down wonderfully: she had no comforter. O Lord, behold my affliction: for the enemy hath magnified himself. 

Second Responsory

My soul is very sorrowful, even to the point of death;
remain here, and watch with me.
Now you will see the crowd who will surround me;
you will flee, and I will go to be offered up for you.

V. Behold, the hour is at hand, and the Son of Man is betrayed into the hands of sinners.
R. You will flee, and I will go to be offered up for you.

Third Reading Lamantations 1:10-14

The adversary hath spread out his hand upon all her pleasant things: for she hath seen that the heathen entered into her sanctuary, whom thou didst command that they should not enter into thy congregation. All her people sigh, they seek bread; they have given their pleasant things for meat to relieve the soul: see, O Lord, and consider; for I am become vile. Is it nothing to you, all ye that pass by? behold, and see if there be any sorrow like unto my sorrow, which is done unto me, wherewith the Lord hath afflicted me in the day of his fierce anger. From above hath he sent fire into my bones, and it prevaileth against them: he hath spread a net for my feet, he hath turned me back: he hath made me desolate and faint all the day. The yoke of my transgressions is bound by his hand: they are wreathed, and come up upon my neck: he hath made my strength to fall, the Lord hath delivered me into their hands, from whom I am not able to rise up.

Third Responsory

Lo, we have seen him without beauty or majesty,
with no looks to attract our eyes.
He bore our sins and grieved for us,
he was wounded for our transgressions,
and by his scourging we are healed.

V. Surely he has borne our griefs and carried our sorrows.
R. And by his scourging we are healed.

Second Nocturn

The Psalms

Psalm 2. Quare fremuerunt gentes?

Antiphon: The kings of the earth stand up, and the rulers take counsel together * against the LORD, and against his Anointed

WHY do the heathen so furiously rage together? * and why do the people imagine a vain thing?
2 The kings of the earth stand up, and the rulers take counsel together * against the LORD, and against his Anointed:
3 Let us break their bonds asunder, * and cast away their cords from us.
4 He that dwelleth in heaven shall laugh them to scorn: * the Lord shall have them in derision.
5 Then shall he speak unto them in his wrath, * and vex them in his sore displeasure:
6 Yet have I set my King * upon my holy hill of Sion.
7 I will rehearse the decree; * the LORD hath said unto me, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee.
8 Desire of me, and I shall give thee the nations for thine inheritance, * and the utmost parts of the earth for thy possession.
9 Thou shalt bruise them with a rod of iron, * and break them in pieces like a potter's vessel.
10 Be wise now therefore, O ye kings; * be instructed, ye that are judges of the earth.
11 Serve the LORD in fear, * and rejoice unto him with reverence.
12 Kiss the Son, lest he be angry, and so ye perish from the right way, if his wrath be kindled, yea but a little. * Blessed are all they that put their trust in him.

Psalm 22. Deus, Deus meus.

Antiphon: They part my garments among them, * and cast lots upon my vesture.             
MY God, my God, look upon me; why hast thou forsaken me? * and art so far from my health, and from the words of my complaint?
2 O my God, I cry in the day-time, but thou hearest not; * and in the night season also I take no rest.
3 And thou continuest holy, * O thou Worship of Israel.
4 Our fathers hoped in thee; * they trusted in thee, and thou didst deliver them.
5 They called upon thee, and were holpen; * they put their trust in thee, and were not confounded.
6 But as for me, I am a worm, and no man; * a very scorn of men, and the outcast of the people.
7 All they that see me laugh me to scorn; * they shoot out their lips, and shake their heads, saying,
8 He trusted in the LORD, that he would deliver him; * let him deliver him, if he will have him.
9 But thou art he that took me out of my mother's womb; * thou wast my hope, when I hanged yet upon my mother’s breasts.
10 I have been left unto thee ever since I was born; * thou art my God even from my mother's womb.
11 O go not from me; for trouble is hard at hand, * and there is none to help me.
12 Many oxen are come about me; * fat bulls of Bashan close me in on every side.
13 They gape upon me with their mouths, * as it were a ramping and a roaring lion.
14 I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint; * my heart also in the midst of my body is even like melting wax.
15 My strength is dried up like a potsherd, and my tongue cleaveth to my gums, * and thou bringest me into the dust of death.
16 For many dogs are come about me, * and the council of the wicked layeth siege against me.
17 They pierced my hands and my feet: I may tell all my bones: * they stand staring and looking upon me.
18 They part my garments among them, * and cast lots upon my vesture.
19 But be not thou far from me, O LORD; * thou art my succour, haste thee to help me.
20 Deliver my soul from the sword, * my darling from the power of the dog.
21 Save me from the lion's mouth; * thou hast heard me also from among the horns of the unicorns.
22 I will declare thy Name unto my brethren; * in the midst of the congregation will I praise thee.
23 O praise the LORD, ye that fear him: * magnify him, all ye of the seed of Jacob; and fear him, all ye seed of Israel.
24 For he hath not despised nor abhorred the low estate of the poor; * he hath not hid his face from him; but when he called unto him he heard him.
25 My praise is of thee in the great-congregation; * my vows will I perform in the sight of them that fear him.
26 The poor shall eat, and be satisfied; they that seek after the LORD shall praise him: * your heart shall live for ever.
27 All the ends of the world shall remember themselves, and be turned unto the LORD; * and all the kindreds of the nations shall worship before him.
28 For the kingdom is the LORD’S, * and he is the Governor among the nations.
29 All such as be fat upon earth * have eaten, and worshipped.
30 All they that go down into the dust shall kneel before him; * and no man hath quickened his own soul.
31 My seed shall serve him: * they shall be counted unto the Lord for a generation.
32 They shall come, and shall declare his righteousness * unto a people that shall be born, whom the Lord hath made.

Psalm 27. Dominus illuminatio.

Antiphon: Deliver me not over into the will of mine adversaries: * for there are false witnesses risen up against me, and such as speak wrong.

THE LORD is my light and my salvation; whom then shall I fear? * the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom then shall I be afraid?
2 When the wicked, even mine enemies and my foes, came upon me to eat up my flesh, * they stumbled and fell.
3 Though an host of men were laid against me, yet shall not my heart be afraid; * and though there rose up war against me, yet will I put my trust in him.
4 One thing have I desired of the LORD, which I will require; * even that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the fair beauty of the LORD, and to visit his temple.
5 For in the time of trouble he shall hide me in his tabernacle; * yea, in the secret place of his dwelling shall he hide me, and set me up upon a rock of stone.
6 And now shall he lift up mine head * above mine enemies round about me.
7 Therefore will I offer in his dwelling an oblation, with great gladness: * I will sing and speak praises unto the LORD.
8 Hearken unto my voice, O LORD, when I cry unto thee; * have mercy upon me, and hear me.
9 My heart hath talked of thee, Seek ye my face: * Thy face, LORD, will I seek.
10 O hide not thou thy face from me, * nor cast thy servant away in displeasure.
11 Thou hast been my succour; * leave me not, neither forsake me, O God of my salvation.
12 When my father and my mother forsake me, * the LORD taketh me up.
13 Teach me thy way, O LORD, * and lead me in the right way, because of mine enemies.
14 Deliver me not over into the will of mine adversaries: * for there are false witnesses risen up against me, and such as speak wrong.
15 I should utterly have fainted, * but that I believe verily to see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living.
16 O tarry thou the LORD’S leisure; * be strong, and he shall comfort thine heart; and put thou thy trust in the LORD.

The Fourth Reading  Matt 26:17-29

 Now the first day of the feast of unleavened bread the disciples came to Jesus, saying unto him, Where wilt thou that we prepare for thee to eat the passover? And he said, Go into the city to such a man, and say unto him, The Master saith, My time is at hand; I will keep the passover at thy house with my disciples. And the disciples did as Jesus had appointed them; and they made ready the passover. Now when the even was come, he sat down with the twelve. And as they did eat, he said, Verily I say unto you, that one of you shall betray me. And they were exceeding sorrowful, and began every one of them to say unto him, Lord, is it I? And he answered and said, He that dippeth his hand with me in the dish, the same shall betray me. The Son of man goeth as it is written of him: but woe unto that man by whom the Son of man is betrayed! it had been good for that man if he had not been born. Then Judas, which betrayed him, answered and said, Master, is it I? He said unto him, Thou hast said. And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and blessed it, and brake it, and gave it to the disciples, and said, Take, eat; this is my body. And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it; For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins. But I say unto you, I will not drink henceforth of this fruit of the vine, until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom.

The Fourth Responsory

Have you come out as against a robber,
with swords and clubs to capture me?
Day after day I sat in the temple teaching,
and you did not seize me;
But now, behold, you scourge me,
and lead me away to be crucified.

V. When they had laid hands on Jesus and were holding him, he said:
R. Day after day I sat in the temple teaching, and you did not seize me;  but now, behold, you scourge me, and lead me away to be crucified. 

The Fifth Reading Matt 26:35-56

Peter said unto him, Though I should die with thee, yet will I not deny thee. Likewise also said all the disciples. Then cometh Jesus with them unto a place called Gethsemane, and saith unto the disciples, Sit ye here, while I go and pray yonder. And he took with him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, and began to be sorrowful and very heavy. Then saith he unto them, My soul is exceeding sorrowful, even unto death: tarry ye here, and watch with me. And he went a little farther, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt. And he cometh unto the disciples, and findeth them asleep, and saith unto Peter, What, could ye not watch with me one hour? Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak. He went away again the second time, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if this cup may not pass away from me, except I drink it, thy will be done. And he came and found them asleep again: for their eyes were heavy. And he left them, and went away again, and prayed the third time, saying the same words. Then cometh he to his disciples, and saith unto them, Sleep on now, and take your rest: behold, the hour is at hand, and the Son of man is betrayed into the hands of sinners. Rise, let us be going: behold, he is at hand that doth betray me. And while he yet spake, lo, Judas, one of the twelve, came, and with him a great multitude with swords and staves, from the chief priests and elders of the people. Now he that betrayed him gave them a sign, saying, Whomsoever I shall kiss, that same is he: hold him fast. And forthwith he came to Jesus, and said, Hail, master; and kissed him. And Jesus said unto him, Friend, wherefore art thou come? Then came they, and laid hands on Jesus and took him. And, behold, one of them which were with Jesus stretched out his hand, and drew his sword, and struck a servant of the high priest's, and smote off his ear. Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword. Thinkest thou that I cannot now pray to my Father, and he shall presently give me more than twelve legions of angels? But how then shall the scriptures be fulfilled, that thus it must be? In that same hour said Jesus to the multitudes, Are ye come out as against a thief with swords and staves for to take me? I sat daily with you teaching in the temple, and ye laid no hold on me. But all this was done, that the scriptures of the prophets might be fulfilled. Then all the disciples forsook him, and fled.

The Fifth Responsory

A damsel came unto him, saying, Thou also wast with Jesus of Galilee.
But he denied before them all, saying, I know not what thou sayest.
And when he was gone out into the porch, another maid saw him, and said unto them that were there, This fellow was also with Jesus of Nazareth.
And again he denied with an oath, I do not know the man.
And after a while came unto him they that stood by, and said to Peter, Surely thou also art one of them; for thy speech bewrayeth thee.
Then began he to curse and to swear, saying, I know not the man. And immediately the cock crew.
V. a damsel came unto him, saying, Thou also wast with Jesus of Galilee
R. I know not what thou sayest.

The Sixth Reading Mark 15:1-5

And straightway in the morning the chief priests held a consultation with the elders and scribes and the whole council, and bound Jesus, and carried him away, and delivered him to Pilate. And Pilate asked him, Art thou the King of the Jews? And he answering said unto them, Thou sayest it. And the chief priests accused him of many things: but he answered nothing. And Pilate asked him again, saying, Answerest thou nothing? behold how many things they witness against thee. But Jesus yet answered nothing; so that Pilate marvelled.

The Sixth Responsory

See how the righteous one perishes,
and no one takes it to heart.
The righteous are taken away, and no one understands.
From the face of evil the righteous one is taken away,
and his memory shall be in peace.

V. Like a sheep before its shearers is mute, so he opened not his mouth. By oppression and judgment he was taken away:
R. And his memory shall be in peace. 

Third Nocturn

The Psalms

Psalm 54. Deus, in Nomine.

Antiphon: Behold, God is my helper; * the Lord is with them that uphold my soul.

SAVE me, O God, for thy Name's sake, * and avenge me in thy strength.
2 Hear my prayer, O God, * and hearken unto the words of my mouth.
3 For strangers are risen up against me; * and tyrants, which have not God before their eyes, seek after my soul.
4 Behold, God is my helper; * the Lord is with them that uphold my soul.
5 He shall reward evil unto mine enemies: * destroy thou them in thy truth.
6 An offering of a free heart will I give thee, and praise thy Name, O LORD; * because it is so comfortable.
7 For he hath delivered me out of all my trouble; * and mine eye hath seen his desire upon mine enemies.

Psalm 76. Notus in Judæa.

Antiphon: At Salem is his tabernacle, * and his dwelling in Sion.

IN Judah is God known; * his Name is great in Israel.
 2 At Salem is his tabernacle, * and his dwelling in Sion.
3 There brake he the arrows of the bow, * the shield, the sword, and the battle.
4 Thou art glorious in might, * when thou comest from the hills of the robbers.
5 The proud are robbed, they have slept their sleep; * and all the men whose hands were mighty have found nothing.
6 At thy rebuke, O God of Jacob, * both the chariot and horse are fallen.
7 Thou, even thou art to be feared; * and who may stand in thy sight when thou art angry?
8 Thou didst cause thy judgment to be heard from heaven; * the earth trembled, and was still,
9 When God arose to judgment, * and to help all the meek upon earth.
10 The fierceness of man shall turn to thy praise; * and the fierceness of them shalt thou refrain.
11 Promise unto the LORD your God, and keep it, all ye that are round about him; * bring presents unto him that ought to be feared.
12 He shall refrain the spirit of princes, * and is wonderful among the kings of the earth.

Psalm 88. Domine, Deus.

Antiphon: I am counted as one of them that go down into the pit, * and I am even as a man that hath no strength;

O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee: * O let my prayer enter into thy presence, incline thine ear unto my calling;
2 For my soul is full of trouble, * and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.
3 I am counted as one of them that go down into the pit, * and I am even as a man that hath no strength;
4 Cast off among the dead, like unto them that are slain, and lie in the grave, * who are out ofremembrance, and are cut away from thy hand.
5 Thou hast laid me in the lowest pit, * in a place of darkness, and in the deep.
6 Thine indignation lieth hard upon me, * and thou hast vexed me with all thy storms.
7 Thou hast put away mine acquaintance far from me, * and made me to be abhorred of them.
8 I am so fast in prison * that I cannot get forth.
9 My sight faileth for very trouble; * LORD, I have called daily upon thee, I have stretched forth my hands unto thee.
10 Dost thou show wonders among the dead? * or shall the dead rise up again, and praise thee?
11 Shall thy loving-kindness be showed in the grave? * or thy faithfulness in destruction?
12 Shall thy wondrous works be known in the dark? * and thy righteousness in the land where all things are forgotten?
13 Unto thee have I cried, O LORD; * and early shall my prayer come before thee.
14 LORD, why abhorrest thou my soul, * and hidest thou thy face from me?
15 I am in misery, and like unto him that is at the point to die; * even from my youth up, thy terrors have I suffered with a troubled mind.
16 Thy wrathful displeasure goeth over me, * and the fear of thee hath undone me.
17 They came round about me daily like water, * and compassed me together on every side.
18 My lovers and friends hast thou put away from me, * and hid mine acquaintance out of my sight.

Seventh Reading  Mark 15:16-32

And the soldiers led him away into the hall, called Praetorium; and they call together the whole band. And they clothed him with purple, and platted a crown of thorns, and put it about his head, And began to salute him, Hail, King of the Jews! And they smote him on the head with a reed, and did spit upon him, and bowing their knees worshipped him. And when they had mocked him, they took off the purple from him, and put his own clothes on him, and led him out to crucify him. And they compel one Simon a Cyrenian, who passed by, coming out of the country, the father of Alexander and Rufus, to bear his cross. And they bring him unto the place Golgotha, which is, being interpreted, The place of a skull. And they gave him to drink wine mingled with myrrh: but he received it not. And when they had crucified him, they parted his garments, casting lots upon them, what every man should take. And it was the third hour, and they crucified him. And the superscription of his accusation was written over, The King Of The Jews. And with him they crucify two thieves; the one on his right hand, and the other on his left. And the scripture was fulfilled, which saith, And he was numbered with the transgressors. And they that passed by railed on him, wagging their heads, and saying, Ah, thou that destroyest the temple, and buildest it in three days, Save thyself, and come down from the cross. Likewise also the chief priests mocking said among themselves with the scribes, He saved others; himself he cannot save. Let Christ the King of Israel descend now from the cross, that we may see and believe. And they that were crucified with him reviled him.

Seventh Responsory

I was like a trusting lamb led to the slaughter.
I did not know it was against me
that they devised schemes, saying,
Let us destroy the tree with its fruit;
let us cut him off from the land of the living.

V. All my enemies whispered together against me,
and devised evil against me, saying:
Let us destroy the tree with its fruit;
let us cut him off from the land of the living.

Eighth Reading  Matt 27:45-54

Now from the sixth hour there was darkness over all the land unto the ninth hour. And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? Some of them that stood there, when they heard that, said, This man calleth for Elias. And straightway one of them ran, and took a spunge, and filled it with vinegar, and put it on a reed, and gave him to drink. The rest said, Let be, let us see whether Elias will come to save him. Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost. And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent; And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose, And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many. Now when the centurion, and they that were with him, watching Jesus, saw the earthquake, and those things that were done, they feared greatly, saying, Truly this was the Son of God.

Eighth Responsory

The veil of the temple was torn in two,
And the earth shook, and the thief from the cross cried out,
Lord, remember me when you come into your kingdom. 

V. The rocks were split, the tombs were opened,
and many bodies of the saints who slept were raised:
And the earth shook, and the thief from the cross cried out,
Lord, remember me when you come into your kingdom.

Ninth Reading Isa 52:13-53:5

Behold, my servant shall deal prudently, he shall be exalted and extolled, and be very high. As many were astonied at thee; his visage was so marred more than any man, and his form more than the sons of men: So shall he sprinkle many nations; the kings shall shut their mouths at him: for that which had not been told them shall they see; and that which they had not heard shall they consider. Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the Lordrevealed? For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him. He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not. Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted. But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

Ninth Responsory

When the Lord was buried, they sealed the tomb,
rolling a great stone to the door of the tomb;
and they stationed soldiers to guard him. 

V. The chief priest gathered before Pilate,
and petitioned him: 

And they stationed soldiers to guard him.

When the Lord was buried, they sealed the tomb,
rolling a great stone to the door of the tomb;
and they stationed soldiers to guard him. 
Lauds

Psalms

Psalm 63. Deus, Deus meus.

Antiphon:  He did not even spare His own Son but offered Him up for us all.

OGOD, thou art my God; * early will I seek thee.
    2 My soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh also longeth after thee, * in a barren and dry land where no water is.

     3 Thus have I looked for thee in the sanctuary, * that I might behold thy power and glory.
    4 For thy loving-kindness is better than the life itself: * my lips shall praise thee.

    5 As long as I live will I magnify thee in1 this manner, * and lift up my hands in thy Name.
    6 My soul shall be satisfied, even as it were with marrow and fatness, * when my mouth praiseth thee with joyful lips.
    7 Have I not remembered thee in my bed, * and thought upon thee when I was waking?
    8 Because thou hast been my helper; * therefore under the shadow of thy wings will I rejoice.
    9 My soul hangeth upon thee; * thy right hand hath upholden me.
    10 These also that seek the hurt of my soul, * they shall go under the earth.
    11 Let them fall upon the edge of the sword, * that they may be a portion for foxes.
    12 But the King shall rejoice in God; all they also that swear by him shall be commended; * for the mouth of them that speak lies shall be stopped.

Psalm 90. Domine, refugium.

Antiphon: He was led as a sheep to the slaughter; he opened he not his mouth:

LORD, thou hast been our refuge, * from one generation to another.
    2 Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever the earth and the world were made, * thou art God from everlasting, and world without end.
    3 Thou turnest man to destruction; * again thou sayest, Come again, ye children of men.

    4 For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is past, * and as a watch in the night.
    5 As soon as thou scatterest them they are even as a sleep; * and fade away suddenly like the grass.
    6 In the morning it is green, and groweth up; * but in the evening it is cut down, dried up, and withered.
    7 For we consume away in thy displeasure, * and are afraid at thy wrathful indignation.
    8 Thou hast set our misdeeds before thee; * and our secret sins in the light of thy countenance.
    9 For when thou art angry all our days are gone: * we bring our years to an end, as it were a tale that is told.
    10 The days of our age are threescore years and ten; and though men be so strong that they come to fourscore years, * yet is their strength then but labour and sorrow; so soon passeth it away, and we are gone.

    11 But who regardeth the power of thy wrath? * or feareth aright thy indignation?
    12 So teach us to number our days, * that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom.
    13 Turn thee again, O LORD, at the last, * and be gracious unto thy servants.
    14 O satisfy us with thy mercy, and that soon: * so shall we rejoice and be glad all the days of our life.
    15 Comfort us again now after the time that thou hast plagued us; * and for the years wherein we have suffered adversity.
    16 Show thy servants thy work, * and their children thy glory.
    17 And the glorious majesty of the LORD our God be upon us: * prosper thou the work of our hands upon us; O prosper thou our handy-work.

Psalm 143. Domine, exaudi.

Antiphon: They shall look on him whom they pierced, * they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son.

HEAR my prayer, O LORD, and consider my desire; * hearken unto me for thy truth and righteousness' sake.
    2 And enter not into judgment with thy servant; * for in thy sight shall no man living be justified.
    3 For the enemy hath persecuted my soul; he hath smitten my life down to the ground; * he hath laid me in the darkness, as the men that have been long dead.
    4 Therefore is my spirit vexed within me, * and my heart within me is desolate.
    5 Yet do I remember the time past; I muse upon all thy works; * yea, I exercise myself in the works of thy hands.
    6 I stretch forth my hands unto thee; * my soul gaspeth unto thee as a thirsty land.
    7 Hear me, O LORD, and that soon; for my spirit waxeth faint: * hide not thy face from me, lest I be like unto them that go down into the pit.
    8 O let me hear thy loving-kindness betimes in the morning; for in thee is my trust: * show thou me the way that I should walk in; for I lift up my soul unto thee.
    9 Deliver me, O LORD, from mine enemies; * for I flee unto thee to hide me.
    10 Teach me to do the thing that pleaseth thee; for thou art my God: * let thy loving Spirit lead me forth into the land of righteousness.
    11 Quicken me, O LORD, for thy Name's sake; * and for thy righteousness' sake bring my soul out of trouble.
    12 And of thy goodness slay mine enemies, * and destroy all them that vex my soul; for I am thy servant. 

Ego dixi in dimidio Is. 38:10-20

Antiphon: From the gates of hell, * O Lord, deliver my soul.

I said: In the noontide of my days * I must depart for the gates of hell.
I sought for the remainder of my years. * I said, I shall not see the Lord in the land of the living.
I shall look upon mortals no more, * nor the inhabitants of the land of rest.
My dwelling is plucked up and removed from me * as if it were a shepherd's tent.
My life has been rolled up as if by a weaver, he cuts me off from the loom: * from day to night you bring me to an end.
I cry for help until morning, * Like a lion he breaks all my bones.
From day to night you bring me to an end: * Like a swallow or a crane I will clamor, I will moan like a dove.
My eyes are weary * with looking upward.
O Lord, I am oppressed; be my security! * What can I say, or what can he answer, because he himself has done it?
Before you I will call to mind all my years * in the bitterness of my soul.
O Lord, if by these things people live, and in all these is the life of my spirit,
you shall restore me to health and make me live. * Behold, in peace my bitterness is most bitter.
You have held back my life from the pit of destruction: * You have cast all my sins behind your back.
For hell cannot thank you, death cannot praise you; * those who go down to the pit cannot hope for your faithfulness.
The living, the living, they thank you, as I do this day; * fathers make known to the children your faithfulness.
O Lord, save me, * and we will sing our psalms all the days of our lives, in the house of the Lord.

Psalm 150. Laudate Dominum.

Antiphon: O Death, I will be your death; O Grave, I will be your destruction. 

    O PRAISE God in his sanctuary * praise him in the firmament of his power.
    2 Praise him in his noble acts: * praise him according to his excellent greatness.
    3 Praise him in the sound of the trumpet: * praise him upon the lute and harp.

    4 Praise him in the timbrels and dances: * praise him upon the strings and pipe.
    5 Praise him upon the well-tuned cymbals: * praise him upon the loud cymbals.
    6 Let every thing that hath breath * praise the LORD.

All stand. During the singing of the Canticle, the Altar and all other lights in the church except of the the one remaing at the top of herse are extinguished.


Benedictus. St. Luke i. 68.

Ant: Now the women sitting at the tomb made lamentation, * weeping for the Lord.

BLESSED be the Lord God of Israel; * for he hath visited and redeemed his people;
And hath raised up a mighty salvation for us, * in the house of his servant David;
As he spake by the mouth of his holy Prophets, * which have been since the world began;
That we should be saved from our enemies, * and from the hand of all that hate us.

To perform the mercy promised to our forefathers, * and to remember his holy covenant;
To perform the oath which he sware to our forefather Abraham, * that he would give us;
That we being delivered out of the hand of our enemies * might serve him without fear;
In holiness and righteousness before him, * all the days of our life.
And thou, child, shalt be called the prophet of the Highest: * for thou shalt go before the face of the Lord to prepare his ways;
To give knowledge of salvation unto his people * for the remission of their sins,
Through the tender mercy of our God; * whereby the day-spring from on high hath visited us;
To give light to them that sit in darkness, and in the shadow of death, * and to guide our feet into the way of peace.

After the Canticle, during the repetition of the Antiphon, the remaining candle is taken from the stand and hidden beneath or behind the Altar, or in some other convenient place. All kneel for the singing of the following anthem

Christus factus est

Christ for us became obedient unto death,
even death on a cross;
therefore God has highly exalted him
and bestowed on him the Name
which is above every name.

A brief silence is observed. Then the following Psalm is then said quietly. If it is sung, it is customary to monotone alternate verses.

Psalm 51. Miserere mei, Deus.

    HAVE mercy upon me, O God, after thy great goodness; * according to the multitude of thy mercies do away mine offences.
    2 Wash me throughly from my wickedness, * and cleanse me from my sin.
    3 For I acknowledge my faults, * and my sin is ever before me.
    4 Against thee only have I sinned, and done this evil in thy sight; * that thou mightest be justified in thy saying, and clear when thou shalt judge.
    5 Behold, I was shapen in wickedness, * and in sin hath my mother conceived me.
    6 But lo, thou requirest truth in the inward parts, * and shalt make me to understand wisdom secretly.
    7 Thou shalt purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean; * thou shalt wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
    8 Thou shalt make me hear of joy and gladness, * that the bones which thou hast broken may rejoice.
    9 Turn thy face from my sins, * and put out all my misdeeds.
    10 Make me a clean heart, O God, * and renew a right spirit within me.
    11 Cast me not away from thy presence, * and take not thy holy Spirit from me.
    12 O give me the comfort of thy help again, * and stablish me with thy free Spirit.
    13 Then shall I teach thy ways unto the wicked, * and sinners shall be converted unto thee.
    14 Deliver me from blood-guiltiness, O God, thou that art the God of my health; * and my tongue shall sing of thy righteousness.
    15 Thou shalt open my lips, O Lord, * and my mouth shall show thy praise.
    16 For thou desirest no sacrifice, else would I give it thee; * but thou delightest not in burnt-offerings.
    17 The sacrifice of God is a troubled spirit: * a broken and contrite heart, O God, shalt thou not despise.
    18 O be favourable and gracious unto Sion; * build thou the walls of Jerusalem.
    19 Then shalt thou be pleased with the sacrifice of righteousness, with the burnt-offerings and oblations; * then shall they offer young bullocks upon thine altar.

No comments:

Post a Comment