Wednesday, February 10, 2016

The Order for the Burial of the Dead

The Order for the
Burial of the Dead
The priest meeting the Corps at the Church style, shalt say: Or else the priests and clerks shalt sing, and so go either into the Church, or towards the grave.

I AM the resurrection and the life (sayth the Lord): he that believeth in me, yea though he were dead, yet shall he live. And whosoever liveth and believeth in me: shall not dye forever.  John xi.

I KNOWE that my redeemer liveth, and that I shall rise out of the earth in the last day, and shall be covered again with my skin and shall see God in my flesh: yea and I myself shall behold him, not with other but with these same eyes.  Job xix.

WE brought nothing into this world, neither may we carry anything out of this world. The Lord giveth, and the Lord taketh away. Even as it pleaseth the Lord, so cometh things to pass: blessed be the name of the Lord.  1 Tim. vi. Job i.


Then shall be sung or said the following psalms

Psalm 116. Dilexi, quoniam.

 MY delight is in the LORD; * because he hath heard the voice of my prayer;
    2 Because he hath inclined his ear unto me; * therefore will I call upon him as long as I live.
    3 The snares of death compassed me round about, * and the pains of hell gat hold upon me.

4 I found trouble and heaviness; then called I upon the Name of the LORD; * O LORD, I beseech thee, deliver my soul.
    5 Gracious is the L
ORD, and righteous; * yea, our God is merciful.
    6 The L
ORD preserveth the simple: * I was in misery, and he helped me.
    7 Turn again then unto thy rest, O my soul; * for the L
ORD hath rewarded thee.
    8 And why? thou hast delivered my soul from death, * mine eyes from tears, and my feet from falling.
    9 I will walk before the L
ORD * in the land of the living.
    10 I believed, and therefore will I speak; but I was sore troubled: * I said in my haste, All men are liars.
    11 What reward shall I give unto the L
ORD * for all the benefits that he hath done unto me?
    12 I will receive the cup of salvation, * and call upon the Name of the L
ORD.
    13 I will pay my vows now in the presence of all his people: * right dear in the sight of the L
ORD is the death of his saints.
14 Behold, O LORD, how that I am thy servant; * I am thy servant, and the son of thine handmaid; thou hast broken my bonds in sunder.
    15 I will offer to thee the sacrifice of thanksgiving, * and will call upon the Name of the L
ORD.
    16 I will pay my vows unto the L
ORD, in the sight of all his people, * in the courts of the LORD’S house; even in the midst of thee, O Jerusalem. Praise the LORD.

 Psalm 146. Lauda, anima mea.
PRAISE the LORD, O my soul: while I live, will I praise the LORD; * yea, as long as I have any being, I will sing praises unto my God.
    2 O put not your trust in princes, nor in any child of man; * for there is no help in them.
    3 For when the breath of man goeth forth, he shall turn again to his earth, * and then all his thoughts perish.
    4 Blessed is he that hath the God of Jacob for his help, * and whose hope is in the L
ORD his God:
    5 Who made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that therein is; * who keepeth his promise for ever;
    6 Who helpeth them to right that suffer wrong; * who feedeth the hungry.
    7 The L
ORD looseth men out of prison; * the LORD giveth sight to the blind.
    8 The L
ORD helpeth them that are fallen; * the LORD careth for the righteous.
    9 The L
ORD careth for the strangers; he defendeth the fatherless and widow: * as for the way of the ungodly, he turneth it upside down.
    10 The L
ORD thy God, O Sion, shall be King for evermore, * and throughout all generations.


 Note that this psalm is to be said after the others that foloweth.

Psalm 139. Domine, probasti.
O LORD, thou hast searched me out, and known me. * Thou knowest my down-sitting, and mine uprising; thou understandest my thoughts long before.
2 Thou art about my path, and about my bed; * and art acquainted with all my ways.
    3 For lo, there is not a word in my tongue, * but thou, O L
ORD, knowest it altogether.
4 Thou hast beset1 me behind and before, * and laid thine hand upon me.
    5 Such knowledge is too wonderful and excellent for me; * I cannot attain unto it.
    6 Whither shall I go then from thy Spirit? * or whither shall I go then from thy presence?
    7 If I climb up into heaven, thou art there; * if I go down to hell, thou art there also.
8 If I take the wings of the morning, * and remain in the uttermost parts of the sea;
    9 Even there also shall thy hand lead me, * and thy right hand shall hold me.
    10 If I say, Peradventure the darkness shall cover me; * then shall my night be turned to day.
    11 Yea, the darkness is no darkness with thee, but the night is as clear as the day; * the darkness and light to thee are both alike.
    12 For my reins are thine; * thou hast covered me in my mother's womb.
    13 I will give thanks unto thee, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: * marvellous are thy works, and that my soul knoweth right well.
    14 My bones are not hid from thee, * though I be made secretly, and fashioned beneath in the earth.
    15 Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being imperfect; * and in thy book were all my members written;
    16 Which day by day were fashioned, * when as yet there was none of them.
17 How dear are thy counsels unto me, O God; * O how great is the sum of them!
    18 If I tell them, they are more in number than the sand: * when I wake up, I am present with thee.
    19 Wilt thou not slay the wicked, O God? * Depart from me, ye blood-thirsty men.
    20 For they speak unrighteously against thee; * and thine enemies take thy Name in vain.
    21 Do not I hate them, O L
ORD, that hate thee? * and am not I grieved with those that rise up against thee?
    22 Yea, I hate them right sore; * even as though they were mine enemies.
    23 Try me, O God, and seek the ground of my heart; * prove me, and examine my thoughts.
24 Look well if there be any way of wickedness in me; * and lead me in the way everlasting.

 Then shall follow this lesson, taken out of the XV. Chapter to the Corinthians, the first Epistle.
CHRIST is risen from the dead, and become the first fruits of them that sleep. For by a man came death, so by a man came the resurrection of the dead. For as by Adam all dye: even so by Christ shall al be made alive, but every man in his own order. The first is Christ, then they that are Christ’s, at his coming. Then cometh the end, when he hath delivered up the Kingdome to God the father, when he hath put down al rule and al authority and power. For he must reign till he have put al his enemies under his feet. The last enemies that shall be destroyed, is death. For he hath put all things under his feet. But when he sayeth al things are put under him, it is manifest that he is excepted, which did put all things under him. When all things are subdued unto him, then shall the son also himself bee subject unto him that put all things under him, that god may be all in all. Else what do they, which are baptized over the dead, if the dead rise not at all? Why are they then baptized over them? Yea, and why stand we always then in jeopardy? By our rejoicing which I have in Christ Jesus our lord, I dye dally. That I have fought with beasts at Ephesus after the manner of men, what advantageth it me, if the dead rise not again? Let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall dye. Be not ye deceived: evil words corrupt good manners. Awake truly out of sleep, and sin not. For some have not the knowledge of God. I speak this to your shame. But some man. will say: how arise the dead? With what body shall they come? Thou fool, that which thou sows, is not quickened, except it dye. And what sows thou? Thou sows not that body that shall be; but bare corn as of wheat, or of some other: but god gives it a body at his pleasure, to every seed his own body. All flesh is not one manner of flesh: but there is one manner of flesh of men, another manner of flesh of beasts, another of fishes, another of birds. There are also celestial bodies, arid there are bodies terrestrial. But the glory of the celestial is one, and the glory of the terrestrial is another. There is one manner glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the star. For one star differeth from another in glory. So is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption, it rises again in incorruption. It is sown in dishonor, it riseth again in honor. It is sown in weakness, it rises again in power. It is sown a natural body, it rises again a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body: as it is also written: The first man Adam was made a living soul, and the last Adam was made a quickening spirit. Howbeit, that is not first which is spiritual: but that which is natural, and then that which is spiritual. The first man is of the earth, earthly: The second man is the Lord from heaven (heavenly). As is the earthy, such are they that are earthly. And as is the heavenly, such are they that are heavenly. And as we have borne the image of the earthly, so shall we bear the image of the heavenly. This say I brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the Kingdome of God: Neither doeth corruption inherit uncorruption. Behold, I show you a mystery. We shall not all sleep: but we shall al be changed, and that in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye by the last trumpet. For the trumpet shall blow, and the dead shall rise incorruptible, and we shall be changed. For this corruptible must put on incorruption: and this mortal must put on immortality. When this corruptible hath put on incorruption, and this mortal hath put on immortality: then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written: Death is swallowed up in victory: Death where is thy sting? Hell where is thy victory? The sting of death is sin: and the strength of sin is the law. But thanks be unto god, which hath given us victory, through our Lord Jesus Christ. Therefore, my dear brethren, be ye steadfast and unmovable, always rich in the work of the lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labor is not in vane, in the lord.

Or this.

Rom. viii. 14.

AS many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. The Spirit himself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: and if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together. For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us. For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God. We know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us? He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things? Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us. Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us. For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Or this.

St. John xiv. 1.

JESUS said, Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also. And whither I go ye know, and the way ye know. Thomas saith unto him, Lord, we know not whither thou goest; and how can we know the way? Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

¶ Here may be sung a Hymn or Anthem; and at the discretion of the Minister, the Creed, the Lord’s Prayer, the prayer which followeth, and such other fitting Prayers as are elsewhere provided in this Book, ending with, the Blessing; the Minister, before the Prayers, first pronouncing,

Priest The Lord be with you
Answer And with thy Spirit
Priest Let us pray

then shall the Priest say.

Lord, have mercy upon us.
Christ, have mercy upon us.
Lord, have mercy upon us.
Our father which art in heaven, &c.
And lead us not into temptation.
Answer. But deliver us from evil. Amen.
Priest. Entre not (o lord) into judgment with thy servant.
Answer. For in thy sight no living creature shall be justified.
Priest. From the gates of hell.
Answer. Deliver their souls’, o lord.
Priest. I believe to see the goodness of the lord.
Answer. In the land of the living.
Priest. O lord, graciously hear my prayer.
Answer. And let my cry come unto thee.

REMEMBER thy servant, O Lord, according to the favour which thou bearest unto thy people, and grant that, increasing in knowledge and love of thee, he may go from strength to strength, in the life of perfect service, in thy heavenly kingdom; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who liveth and reigneth with thee and the Holy Ghost, ever, one God, world without end. Amen.

UNTO God’s gracious mercy and protection we commit you. The Lord bless you and keep you. The Lord make his face to shine upon you, and be gracious unto you. The Lord lift up his countenance upon you, and give you peace, both now and evermore. Amen.


At The Grave

When they come at the grave, while the Corps is made ready to be laid into the earth, the priest shall say, or the priest and clerks shall sing.

MAN that is borne of a woman, hath but a short time to live, and is full of misery : he cometh up and is cut down like a flower; he flyeth as it were a shadow, and never continueth in one staye.   Job ix.

Then the priest shall say
In the midst of life we are in death, of whom may we seek for succor but of thee, o Lord, which for our sins justly art moved? Yet o Lord God most holy, o Lord most mighty, o holy and most merciful savior, deliver us not into the bitter pains of eternal death. Thou knowest, Lord, the secretes of our hearts : shut not up thy merciful eyes to our prayers : But spare us, Lord most holy, o God most mighty, o holy and merciful savior, thou most worthy judge eternal, suffer us not at our last hour for any pains of death to fall from the.
Then the priest casting earth upon the Corps, shall say.

I COMMEND thy soul to God the father almighty, and thy body to the ground, earth to earth, ashes to ashes, dust to dust, in sure and certain hope of resurrection to eternal life, through our Lord Jesus Christ, who shall change our vile body, that it may be like to his glorious body, according to the mighty working whereby he is able to subdue all things to himself.

Then shall be said or song.

I HEARD a voice from heaven, saying unto me, Write, From henceforth blessed are the dead which die in the Lord: even so saith the Spirit: for they rest from their labours  Rev. 14

Let us pray.

WE commend into thy hands of mercy (most merciful father) the soul of this our brother departed, N. And his body we commit to the earth, beseeching thine infinite goodness, to give us grace to live in thy fear and love, and to die in thy favor: that when the judgment shall come which thou haste committed to thy well beloved son, both this our brother, and we, may be found acceptable in thy sight, and receive that blessing, which thy well beloved son shall then pronounce to all that love and fear thee, saying: Come ye blessed children of my Father: Receive the kingdom prepared for you before the beginning of the world. Grant this, merciful father, for the honor of Jesus Christ our only savior, mediator, and advocate. Amen.

¶ Then the Minister shall say one or more of the following Prayers, at his discretion.

O GOD, whose mercies cannot be numbered; Accept our prayers on behalf of the soul of thy servant departed, and grant him an entrance into the land of light and joy, in the fellowship of thy saints; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

ALMIGHTY God, with whom do live the spirits of those who depart hence in the Lord, and with whom the souls of the faithful, after they are delivered from the burden of the flesh, are in joy and felicity; We give thee hearty thanks for the good examples of all those thy servants, who, having finished their course in faith, do now rest from their labours. And we beseech thee, that we, with all those who are departed in the true faith of thy holy Name, may have our perfect consummation and bliss, both in body and soul, in thy eternal and everlasting glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

O MERCIFUL God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who is the Resurrection and the Life; in whom whosoever believeth, shall live, though he die; and whoso-ever liveth, and believeth in him, shall not die eternally; who also hath taught us, by his holy Apostle Saint Paul, not to be sorry, as men without hope, for those who sleep in him; We humbly beseech thee, O Father, to raise us from the death of sin unto the life of righteousness; that, when we shall depart this life, we may rest in him; and that, at the general Resurrection in the last day, we may be found acceptable in thy sight; and receive that blessing, which thy well-beloved Son shall then pronounce to all who love and fear thee, saying, Come, ye blessed children of my Father, receive the kingdom prepared for you from the beginning of the world. Grant this, we beseech thee, O merciful Father, through Jesus Christ, our Mediator and Redeemer. Amen.

THE God of peace, who brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus Christ, the great Shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant; Make you perfect in every good work to do his will, working in you that which is well pleasing in his sight; through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

The Minister, at his discretion, may also use any of the following Prayers before the final Blessing.

O ALMIGHTY God, the God of the spirits of all flesh, who by a voice from heaven didst proclaim, Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord; Multiply, we beseech thee, to those who rest in Jesus, the manifold blessings of thy love, that the good work which thou didst begin in them may be perfected unto the day of Jesus Christ. And of thy mercy, O heavenly Father, vouchsafe that we, who now serve thee here on earth, may at last, together with them, be found meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light; for the sake of the same thy Son Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

MOST merciful Father, who hast been pleased to take unto thyself the soul of this thy servant (or this thy child); Grant to us who are still in our pilgrimage, and who walk as yet by faith, that having served thee with constancy on earth, we may be joined hereafter with thy blessed saints in glory everlasting; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

O LORD Jesus Christ, who by thy death didst take away the sting of death; Grant unto us thy servants so to follow in faith where thou hast led the way, that we may at length fall asleep peacefully in thee, and awake up after thy likeness; through thy mercy, who livest with the Father and the Holy Ghost, one God, world without end. Amen.

ALMIGHTY and everliving God, we yield unto thee most high praise and hearty thanks, for the wonderful grace and virtue declared in all thy saints, who have been the choice vessels of thy grace, and the lights of the world in their several generations; most humbly beseeching thee to give us grace so to follow the example of their stedfast-ness in thy faith, and obedience to thy holy command-ments, that at the day of the general Resurrection, we, with all those who are of the mystical body of thy Son, may be set on his right hand, and hear that his most joyful voice: Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. Grant this, O Father, for the sake of the same, thy Son Jesus Christ, our only Mediator and Advocate. Amen.

Then shall be said the collect and blessing

O MERCIFUL God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who is the resurrection and the life; in whom whosoever believeth shall live, though he die; and whosoever liveth, and believeth in him, shall not die eternally; who also hath taught us, by his holy Apostle Saint Paul, not to be sorry, as men without hope, for them that sleep in him: We meekly beseech thee, O Father, to raise us from the death of sin unto the life of righteousness; that, when we shall depart this life, we may rest in him, as our hope is this our brother doth; and that, at the general Resurrection in the last day, we may be found acceptable in thy sight; and receive that blessing, which thy well-beloved Son shall then pronounce to all that love and fear thee, saying, Come, ye blessed children of my Father, receive the kingdom prepared for you from the beginning of the world: Grant this, we beseech thee, 0 merciful Father, through Jesus Christ, our Mediator and Redeemer. Amen.
THE grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God and the fellowship of the Holy Ghost, be with us all evermore. Amen.

At the Burial of the Dead at Sea.

¶ The same office may be used; but instead of the Sentence of Committal, the Minister shall say,

UNTO Almighty God we commend the soul of our brother departed, and we commit his body to the deep; in sure and certain hope of the Resurrection unto eternal life, through our Lord Jesus Christ; at whose coming in glorious majesty to judge the world, the sea shall give up her dead; and the corruptible bodies of those who sleep in him shall be changed, and made like unto his glorious body; according to the mighty working whereby he is able to subdue all things unto himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment