Monday, February 1, 2016

The Introits, Collects, etc. St Mark and St. Catherine of Siena

Saint Mark the Evangelist
April 25

1st Evensong
The Psalms Appointed
67 & 96

The Readings
Ecclus. 51:13–22 & Acts 12:25–13:3

The Antiphon for the Magnificat
In the midst of the throne, and round about the throne, John saw four living creatures, * which same do ascribe glory and honor and blessing to him that sitteth on the throne, who liveth for ever and ever (Alleluia!).

Matins
The Psalms Appointed
102:15

The Readings
Isa. 62:6 & Rom. 15:4–13

The Antiphon for the Benedictus
In the midst of the throne, and round about the throne, were four living creatures, having each of them six wings, and full of eyes within, * and they rest not day and night, saying, Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, which was, and is, and is to come (Alleluia!).

Holy Communion

The Introit Psalm 141. Domine, clamavi.

LORD, I call upon thee; haste thee unto me, * and consider my voice, when I cry unto thee.
    2 Let my prayer be set forth in thy sight as the incense; * and let the lifting up of my hands be an evening sacrifice.
    3 Set a watch, O L
ORD, before my mouth, * and keep the door of my lips.
    4 O let not mine heart be inclined to any evil thing; * let me not be occupied in ungodly works with the men that work wickedness, neither let me eat of such things as please them.
    5 Let the righteous rather smite me friendly, and reprove me; * yea, let not my head refuse their precious balms.
    6 As for the ungodly, * I will pray yet against their wickedness.
    7 Let their judges be overthrown in stony places, * that they may hear my words; for they are sweet.
    8 Our bones lie scattered before the pit, * like as when one breaketh and heweth wood upon the earth.
    9 But mine eyes look unto thee, O L
ORD God; * in thee is my trust; O cast not out my soul.
    10 Keep me from the snare that they have laid for me, * and from the traps of the wicked doers.
    11 Let the ungodly fall into their own nets together, * and let me ever escape them.

The Collect.

OALMIGHTY God, who hast instructed thy holy Church with the heavenly doctrine of thy Evangelist Saint Mark; Give us grace that. being not like children carried away with every blast of vain doctrine, we may be established in the truth of thy holy Gospel; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

The Epistle. 
Ephes. iv. 7.

UNTO every one of us is given grace according to the measure of the gift of Christ. Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men. (Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth? He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.) And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; for the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ: that we hence-forth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive; but speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ: from whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.

The Gradual Ps 119:10-16

    WHEREWITHAL shall a young man cleanse his way? * even by ruling himself after thy word.
    10 With my whole heart have I sought thee; * O let me not go wrong out of thy commandments.
    11 Thy word have I hid within my heart, * that I should not sin against thee.
    12 Blessed art thou, O L
ORD; * O teach me thy statutes.
    13 With my lips have I been telling * of all the judgments of thy mouth.
    14 I have had as great delight in the way of thy testimonies, * as in all manner of riches.
    15 I will talk of thy commandments, * and have respect unto thy ways.

The Alleluia

   Alleluia! Alleluia! My delight shall be in thy statutes, * and I will not forget thy word. Alleluia!


The Gospel. St. John xv. 1.

IAM the true vine, and my Father is the husband-man. Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit. Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you. Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing. If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them. and cast them into the fire, and they are burned. If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you. Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples. As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love. If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love. These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full.

2nd Evensong
The Psalms Appointed
19 & 112

The Readings
Ecclus.  2:1–11 & 2 Tim. 4:1–11, 16-18

The Antiphon for the Magnificat
For the wisdom of the ancients the holy Evangelists searched with diligent inquiry, * and by the Prophets' sayings did they establish the truth of their narration Alleluia!

St. Catherine of Siena
(Virgin and Theologian)
April 30

The Collect.


ALMIGHTY and everlasting God, who didst enkindle the flame of thy love in the heart of thy servant Catherine: Grant to us thy humble servants, the same faith and power of love; that, as we rejoice in her triumph, we may profit by her example; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment