Thursday, February 4, 2016

Common of Saints Apostles or Evangelists

The Common of Saints

The Vigil of an Apostle or Evangelist

The Collect.
 
We beseech thee, almighty God, to grant that our service preceding the festival of blessed N., thy apostle, may obtain for us the aid of his intercession more and more. Through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
 

The Lesson. Ecclus. xliv. 22-23, xlv. 1-7.

The blessing of the Lord is upon the head of the righteous. Therefore he gave him an heritage, and divided his portion among the twelve tribes. And he found favour in the sight of all flesh; and he magnified him so that the enemies stood in awe of him. By his words he caused the wonders to cease; he made him glorious in the sight of kings, and shewed him his glory. He sanctified him in his faithfulness and meekness, and chose him out of all men. He gave him commandments before his face, even the law of life and knowledge, and exalted him. An everlasting covenant he made with him; He beautified him with comely ornaments, and clothed him with the robe of glory.
or

Proverbs iii. 13-20.

Happy is the man that findeth wisdom, and the man that getteth understanding. For the merchandise of it is better than the merchandise of silver, and the gain thereof than fine gold. She is more precious than rubies: and all the things thou canst desire are not to be compared unto her. Length of days is in her right hand; and in her left hand riches and honour. Her ways are ways of pleasantness, and all her paths are peace. She is a tree of life to them that lay hold upon her: and happy is every one that retaineth her. The Lord by wisdom hath founded the earth; by understanding hath he established the heavens. By his knowledge the depths are broken up, and the clouds drop down the dew.

The Gospel John xv. 1-7.

At that time Jesus said to his disciples, I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman. Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit. Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you. Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing. If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned. If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.

Or

John xv. 5-7.

I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing. If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned. If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.

Of An Apostle or Evangelist

Antiphons for the Psalms at Matins and Evensong

He called unto him his disciples: * and of them he chose twelve, whom also he named apostles;
Blessed are ye, when men shall hate you, and when they shall separate you from their company, *  and shall reproach you, and cast out your name as evil, for the Son of man's sake.
He called his twelve disciples together, and gave them power and authority over all devils, * and to cure diseases. He sent them to preach the kingdom of God, and to heal the sick.
If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, * and take up his cross daily, and follow me.

They departed from the presence of the council, * rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer shame for his name.

No comments:

Post a Comment