Thursday, January 28, 2016

The Introits, Collects, etc. 5th Sunday in Easter and the Week Following

The Fifth Sunday of Easter,

1st Evensong
The Psalms Appointed
123, 124, & 125

The Antiphon for the Magnificat
Great and Marvelous are thy works, O Lord God Almighty; * righteous and true are thy ways, thou King of ages. // Who shall not fear thee, O Lord, and glorify thy Name? * For thou only art holy: for all the nations shall come and worship before thee; for thy judgements are manifest, Alleluia!

Matins
The Psalms Appointed
126, 127, & 128

The Readings
II Esedra 2:42-47 & John 11:17-44

The Antiphon for the Benedictus
I go my way to him that sent me: * but because I have said these things unto you, sorrow hath filled your heart, Alleluia!



Holy Communion

The Introit Psalm 82. Deus stetit.

GOD standeth in the congregation of princes; * he is a Judge among gods.
    2 How long will ye give wrong judgment, * and accept the persons of the ungodly?
    3 Defend the poor and fatherless; * see that such as are in need and necessity have right.
    4 Deliver the outcast and poor; * save them from the hand of the ungodly.
    5 They know not, neither do they understand, but walk on still in darkness: * all the foundations of the earth are out of course.
    6 I have said, Ye are gods, * and ye are all the children of the Most Highest.
    7 But ye shall die like men, * and fall like one of the princes.
    8 Arise, O God, and judge thou the earth; * for thou shalt take all nations to thine inheritance.
The Collect.
O ALMIGHTY God, who alone canst order the unruly wills and affections of sinful men; Grant unto thy people, that they may love the thing which thou commandest, and desire that which thou dost promise; that so, among the sundry and manifold changes of the world, our hearts may surely there be fixed, where true joys are to be found; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

The Epistle. St. James i. 17.

EVERY good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning. Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures. Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: for the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God. Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls.

The Gradual

Alleluia! Alleluia! The voice of joy and health is in the dwellings of the righteous; * the right hand of the LORD bringeth mighty things to pass. Alleluia!
    16 The right hand of the L
ORD hath the preeminence; * the right hand of the LORD bringeth mighty things to pass. Alleluia!
    17 I shall not die, but live, * and declare the works of the L
ORD. Alleluia!
    18 The L
ORD hath chastened and corrected me; * but he hath not given me over unto death. Alleluia!

The Gospel. 
St. John xvi. 5.

JESUS said unto his disciples, Now I go my way to him that sent me; and none of you asketh me, Whither goest thou? But because I have said these things unto you, sorrow hath filled your heart. Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you. And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: of sin, because they believe not on me; of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more; of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged. I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now. Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you. All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

2nd Evensong
The Psalms Appointed
129, 130, & 131

The Readings
Gen 8:6-9:16 & Mark 12:18-27

The Antiphon for the Magnificat
Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: * for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come to you, Alleluia!

Fifth Wednesday of Easter

Holy Communion

The Epistle  James ii. 1-13.

Dearly beloved, have not the faith of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Lord of glory, with respect of persons. For if there come unto your assembly a man with a gold ring, in goodly apparel, and there come in also a poor man in vile raiment; And ye have respect to him that weareth the gay clothing, and say unto him, Sit thou here in a good place; and say to the poor, Stand thou there, or sit here under my footstool: Are ye not then partial in yourselves, and are become judges of evil thoughts? Hearken, my beloved brethren, Hath not God chosen the poor of this world rich in faith, and heirs of the kingdom which he hath promised to them that love him? But ye have despised the poor. Do not rich men oppress you, and draw you before the judgment seats? Do not they blaspheme that worthy name by the which ye are called? If ye fulfil the royal law according to the scripture, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself, ye do well: But if ye have respect to persons, ye commit sin, and are convinced of the law as transgressors. For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all. For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law. So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty. For he shall have judgment without mercy, that hath shewed no mercy; and mercy rejoiceth against judgment.

The Gospel  John xvii. 11-15.

At that time, Jesus looking upon his disciples, said, Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are. While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled. And now come I to thee; and these things I speak in the world, that they might have my joy fulfilled in themselves. I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from the evil.


Fifth Friday of Easter

Holy Communion

The Epistle  James ii. 24-26.

Dearly beloved, ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only. Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way? For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

The Gospel  John xiii. 33-36.

At that time, said Jesus to his disciples, Little children, yet a little while I am with you. Ye shall seek me: and as I said unto the Jews, Whither I go, ye cannot come; so now I say to you. A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another. Simon Peter said unto him, Lord, whither goest thou? Jesus answered him, Whither I go, thou canst not follow me now; but thou shalt follow me afterwards.


No comments:

Post a Comment