Tuesday, January 26, 2016

The Introits, Collects, etc. 4th Sunday in Lent and the Week Followng

The Fourth Sunday in Lent.

1st Evensong
The Psalms Appointed
119:73-104

The Antiphon for the Magnificat
Woman, hath no man condemned thee? No man, Lord. * Neither do I condemn thee; go, and sin no more.

Matins
The Psalms Appointed
142 & 143

The Readings
II Sam 18:5-33 & Luke 15:11-54

The Antiphon for the Benedictus
Jesus went over the sea of Galilee: and there followed him a very great multitude, because they saw the miracles which he did: * now the Passover, a feast of the Jews, was nigh.


 Holy Communion

The Introit Psalm 46. Deus noster refugium.

GOD is our hope and strength, * a very present help in trouble.
    2 Therefore will we not fear, though the earth be moved, * and though the hills be carried into the midst of the sea;
    3 Though the waters thereof rage and swell, * and though the mountains shake at the tempest of the same.
    4 There is a river, the streams whereof make glad the city of God; * the holy place of the tabernacle of the Most Highest.
    5 God is in the midst of her, therefore shall she not be removed; * God shall help her, and that right early.
    6 The nations make much ado, and the kingdoms are moved; * but God hath showed his voice, and the earth shall melt away.
    7 The Lord of hosts is with us; * the God of Jacob is our refuge.
    8 O come hither, and behold the works of the Lord, * what destruction he hath brought upon the earth.
    9 He maketh wars to cease in all the world; * he breaketh the bow, and knappeth the spear in sunder, and burneth the chariots in the fire.
    10 Be still then, and know that I am God: * I will be exalted among the nations, and I will be exalted in the earth.
    11 The Lord of hosts is with us; * the God of Jacob is our refuge.

The Collect.

GRANT, we beseech thee, Almighty God, that we, who for our evil deeds do worthily deserve to be punished, by the comfort of thy grace may mercifully be relieved; through our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.Amen.

The Epistle. 
Gal. iv. 21.

TELL me, ye that desire to be under the law, do ye not hear the law? For it is written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bond-maid, the other by a freewoman. But he who was of the bond woman was born after the flesh; but he of the freewoman was by promise. Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar. For this Agar is mount Sinai in Arabia, and answereth to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children. But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all. For it is written, Rejoice, thou barren that bearest not; break forth and cry, thou that travailest not: for the desolate hath many more children than she which hath an husband. Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are the children of promise. But as then he that was born after the flesh persecuted him that was born after the Spirit, even so it is now. Nevertheless what saith the scripture? Cast out the bond woman and her son: for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the freewoman. So then, brethren, we are not children of the bondwoman, but of the free.


The Tract Ps 125 

THEY that put their trust in the Lord shall be even as the mount Sion, / which may not be removed, but standeth fast for ever.
2 The hills stand about Jerusalem: / even so standeth the Lord round about his people, from this time forth for evermore.
3 For the sceptre of the ungodly shall not rest upon the lot of the righteous; / lest the righteous put their hand unto wickedness.
4 Do well, O Lord, unto those that are good, / and unto them that are true of heart.
5 As for such as turn aside to their own crooked ways, / the Lord shall lead them forth with the evil-doers; but peace be upon Israel.



The Gospel. St. John vi. 1.

JESUS went over the sea of Galilee, which is the sea of Tiberias. And a great multitude followed him, because they saw his miracles which he did on them that were diseased. And Jesus went up into a mountain, and there he sat with his disciples. And the passover, a feast of the Jews, was nigh. When Jesus then lifted up his eyes, and saw a great company come unto him, he saith unto Philip, Whence shall we buy bread, that these may eat? And this he said to prove him: for he himself knew what he would do. Philip answered him, Two hundred pennyworth of bread is not sufficient for them, that every one of them may take a little. One of his disciples, Andrew, Simon Peter's brother, saith unto him, There is a lad here, which bath five barley loaves, and two small fishes: but what are they among so many? And Jesus said, Make the men sit down, Now there was much grass in the place. So the men sat down, in number about five thousand; And Jesus took the loaves; and when he had given thanks, he distributed to the disciples, and the disciples to them that were set down; and likewise of the fishes as much as they would. When they were filled, he said unto his disciples, Gather up the fragments that remain, that nothing be lost. Therefore they gathered them together, and filled twelve baskets with the fragments of the five barley loaves, which remained over and above unto them that had eaten. Then those men, when they had seen the miracle that Jesus did, said, This is of a truth that prophet that should come into the world.


2nd Evensong
The Psalms Appointed
119:105-144

The Readings
Gen 13 & Matt 7:13-29

The Antiphon for the Magnificat
Then those men, when they had seen the miracle that Jesus did, said: * This is of a truth that Prophet that should come into the world.

Wednesday in the Fourth Week of Lent

The Collect.

GRANT, we beseech thee, Almighty God, that we, who for our evil deeds do worthily deserve to be punished, by the comfort of thy grace may mercifully be relieved; through our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. Amen.

The Epistle. Jeremiah 31:31-34.

BEHOLD, the days come, saith the LORD, that I willmake a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah: not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD: but this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people. And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying. Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them onto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.

The Gospel. St. John 9:1-38.

AS Jesus passed by, he saw a man which was blind from his birth. And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind? Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him. I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work. As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world. When he had thus spoken, he spat on the ground, and made clay of the spittle, and he anointed the eyes of the blind man with the clay, and said unto him, Go, wash in the pool of Siloam, (which is by interpretation, Sent.) He went his way therefore, and washed, and came seeing. The
neighbours therefore, and they which before had seen him that he was blind, said, Is not this he that sat and begged? Some said, This is he: others said, He is like him: but he said, I am he. Therefore said they unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed mine eyes, and said unto me, Go to the pool of Siloam, and wash: and I went and washed, and I received sight. Then said they unto him, Where if he? He said, I know not. They brought to the Pharisees him that aforetime was blind. And it was the sabbath day when Jesus made the clay, and opened his eyes. Then again the Pharisees also asked him how he had received his sight. He said unto them, He put clay upon mine eyes, and I washed, and do see. Therefore said some of the Pharisees, This man is not of God, because he keepeth not the sabbath day. Others said, How can a man that is a sinner do such miracles? And there was a division among them. They say unto
the blind man again, What sayest thou of him, that he hath opened thine-eyes? He said, He is a prophet. But the Jews did not believe concerning him, that he had been
blind, and received his sight, until they called the parents of him that had received his sight. And they asked them, saying. Is this your son, who ye say was born blind? how then doth he now see? His parents answered them and said, We know that this is our son, and that he was born blind: but by what means he now seeth, we know not; or who hath opened his eyes, we know not: he is of age; ask him: he shall speak for himself. These words spake his parents, because they feared the Jews: for the Jews had agreed already, that if any man did confess that he was Christ, he should be put out of the synagogue. Therefore said his parents, He is of age; ask him.
Then again called they the man that was blind, and said unto him, Give God the praise: we know that this man is-a sinner. He answered and said, Whether he be a sinner or no, I know not: one thing I know, that, whereas I was: blind, now I see. Then said they to him again, What did he to thee? how opened he thine eyes? He answered them, I have told you already, and ye did not hear: wherefore would ye hear it again? will ye also be his disciples? Then they reviled him, and said, Thou art his disciple; but we are Moses' disciples. We know that God spake unto Moses: as for this fellow, we know not from whence he is. The man answered and said unto them, Why herein is a marvellous thing, that ye know not from whence he is, and yet he hath opened mine eyes. Now we know that God heareth not sinners: but if any man be a worshipper of God, and doeth his will, him he heareth. Since the world began was it not heard that any man opened the eyes of one that was born blind. If this man were not of God, he could do nothing. They answered and said unto him, Thou wast altogether born in sins, and dost thou teach us? And they cast hi out. Jesus heard that they had cast him out; and when he had found
him, he said unto him, Dost thou believe on the Son of man? He answered and said, Who is he, Lord, that I might believe on him? And Jesus said unto him, Thou hast both seen him, and it is he that talketh with thee. And he  said, Lord, I believe. And he worshipped him.


Friday in the Fourth Week of Lent

The Collect.

GRANT, we beseech thee, Almighty God, that we, who for our evil deeds do worthily deserve to be punished, by the comfort of thy grace may mercifully be relieved; through our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. Amen.

The Epistle. Ezekiel 34:11-16.


FOR thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I, even I, will both search my sheep, and seek them out. As a shepherd seeketh out his flock in the day that he is among his sheep that are scattered; so will I seek out my sheep, and will deliver them out of all places where they have been scattered in the cloudy and dark day. And I will bring them out from the people, and gather them from the countries, and will bring them to their own land, and feed them upon the mountains of Israel by the rivers, and in all the inhabited places of the country. I will feed them in a good pasture, and upon the high mountains of Israel shall their fold be: there shall they lie in a good fold, and in a fat pasture shall they feed upon the mountains of Israel. I will feed my flock, and I will cause them to lie down, saith the Lord GOD. I will seek that which was lost, and bring again that which was driven away, and will bind up that which was broken, and will strengthen that which was sick: but I will watch over the fat and the strong; I will feed them with judgment.

The Gospel. St. John 10:17-31.

THEREFORE doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again. No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father. There was a division therefore again among the Jews for these sayings. And many of them said, He hath a devil, and is mad; why hear ye him? Others said, These are not the words of him that hath a devil. Can a devil open the eyes of the blind? And it was at Jerusalem the feast of the dedication, and it was
winter. And Jesus walked in the temple in Solomon's porch. Then came the Jews round about him, and said unto him, How long dost thou make us to doubt? If thou be the Christ, tell us plainly. Jesus answered them, I told you, and ye believed not: the works that I do in my Father's name, they bear witness of me. But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you. My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: and I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand. I and my Father are one. Then the Jews took up stones again to stone him.

No comments:

Post a Comment