Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Discussing the Daily Office Lectionary

In making this lectionary, I had three goals in mind:

First, I wanted to honor the vision of the Blessed Thomas Cranmer that the whole of the scriptures including the apocrypha should be read in the course of the daily office each year. (In fact honor it more fully than he had.)

Second, I wanted to include readings from the church fathers to give us part of the tradition that forms part of how we understand the scriptures.

Third, I also wanted to include reading from documents that are important to understanding the context of the BCP such as the Rule of St. Benedict, the Didache and the 39 Articles of Religion.

Fourth I wanted to have readings for midday prayer and compline.


This lectionary is the result of those goals put as best I could into practice.  I should perhaps credit The Rev. Matthew Brench who’s lectionary gave me some ideas on how to organize it.

2 comments:

  1. Greetings and thanks for the credit! That lectionary I made a few years ago is rather rough and I only used it twice before moving on to a more historic Anglican source. In a way, what you've put together here is a fascinating "correction" of my ideas, conforming them much better to Anglican precedent than I did. I hope to try this out, though it'd be a couple years before I'm probably able to get to it.

    Very good work here, thank you for sharing it with me!

    ReplyDelete