Thursday, January 28, 2016

The Introits, Collects, etc. for the third Sunday of Easter and the Week Following

The Third Sunday of Easter.

1st Evensong
The Psalms Appointed
2 & 57

The Antiphon for the Magnificat
Worthy art thou, O Lord, our God, to receive glory and honor, and power: * for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are, and were created. // Salvation to our God that sitteth upon the throne, * and to the Lamb, Alleluia!

Matins
The Psalms Appointed
21 & 23

The Readings
II Sam 1:19-27 & John 20:24-31

The Antiphon for the Benedictus
I am the good Shepherd, and I feed my sheep; * and I lay down my life for my sheep, Alleluia!

Holy Communion

The Introit Psalm 120. Ad Dominum.

WHEN I was in trouble, I called upon the LORD, * and he heard me.
    2 Deliver my soul, O L
ORD, from lying lips, * and from a deceitful tongue.
    3 What reward shall be given or done unto thee, thou false tongue? * even mighty and sharp arrows, with hot burning coals.
    4 Woe is me, that I am constrained to dwell with Meshech, * and to have my habitation among the tents of Kedar!
    5 My soul hath long dwelt among them * that are enemies unto peace.
    6 I labour for peace; but when I speak unto them thereof, * they make them ready to battle.
The Collect.

ALMIGHTY God, who hast given thine only Son to be unto us both a sacrifice for sin, and also an ensample of godly life; Give us grace that we may always most thankfully receive that his inestimable benefit, and also daily endeavour ourselves to follow the blessed steps of his most holy life; through the same* Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

The Epistle. 1 St. Pet. ii. 19.

THIS is thankworthy, if a man for conscience toward God endure grief, suffering wrongfully. For what glory is it, if, when ye be buffeted for your faults, ye shall take it patiently? but if, when ye do. well, and suffer for it, ye take it patiently, this is acceptable with God. For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps: who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth: who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered, he threatened not: but committed himself to him that judgeth righteously: who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed. For ye were as sheep going astray: but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls.

The Gradual

    Alleluia! Alleluia! O GOD, thou art my God; * early will I seek thee. Alleluia!
    2 My soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh also longeth after thee, * in a barren and dry land where no water is. Alleluia!
    3 Thus have I looked for thee in the sanctuary, * that I might behold thy power and glory. Alleluia!
    4 For thy loving-kindness is better than the life itself: * my lips shall praise thee. Alleluia!

The Gospel. St. John x. 11.

JESUS said, I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep. But he that is an hireling, and not the shepherd, whose own the sheep are not, seeth the wolf coming, and leaveth the sheep, and fleeth: and the wolf catcheth them, and scattereth the sheep. The hireling fleeth, because he is an hireling, and careth not for the sheep. I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine. As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep. And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one flock, and one shepherd.

2nd Evensong
The Psalms Appointed
116, 117

The Readings
Ezek 34:11-16,30-31 & John 10:1-11


The Antiphon for the Magnificat
I am the Shepherd of the sheep; I am the Way and the Truth: * I am the good Shepherd, and I know my sheep, and am known of mine, Alleluia! Alleluia!

Third Wednesday of Easter

Holy Communion

The Epistle  1 Peter i. 18-25.

Dearly beloved, Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers; But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot: Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you, Who by him do believe in God, that raised him up from the dead, and gave him glory; that your faith and hope might be in God. Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently: Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever. For all flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of grass. The grass withereth, and the flower thereof falleth away: But the word of the Lord endureth for ever.

The Gospel  Luke xxiv. 1-12.

At that time, upon the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they came unto the sepulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared, and certain others with them. And they found the stone rolled away from the sepulchre. And they entered in, and found not the body of the Lord Jesus. And it came to pass, as they were much perplexed thereabout, behold, two men stood by them in shining garments: And as they were afraid, and bowed down their faces to the earth, they said unto them, Why seek ye the living among the dead? He is not here, but is risen: remember how he spake unto you when he was yet in Galilee, Saying, The Son of man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men, and be crucified, and the third day rise again. And they remembered his words, And returned from the sepulchre, and told all these things unto the eleven, and to all the rest. It was Mary Magdalene, and Joanna, and Mary the mother of James, and other women that were with them, which told these things unto the apostles. And their words seemed to them as idle tales, and they believed them not. Then arose Peter, and ran unto the sepulchre; and stooping down, he beheld the linen clothes laid by themselves, and departed, wondering in himself at that which was come to pass.


Third Friday of Easter

Holy Communion

The Epistle  Romans v. 18-21.

Brethren, as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life. For as by one man’s disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous. Moreover the law entered, that the offence might abound. But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound: That as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord.

The Gospel  Matt ix. 14-17.


At that time came to him the disciples of John, saying, Why do we and the Pharisees fast oft, but thy disciples fast not? And Jesus said unto them, Can the children of the bridechamber mourn, as long as the bridegroom is with them? but the days will come, when the bridegroom shall be taken from them, and then shall they fast. No man putteth a piece of new cloth unto an old garment, for that which is put in to fill it up taketh from the garment, and the rent is made worse. Neither do men put new wine into old bottles: else the bottles break, and the wine runneth out, and the bottles perish: but they put new wine into new bottles, and both are preserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment