Saturday, January 23, 2016

A Note on the Readings for the Conception of the Blessed Virgin

I said in my last post that I don’t make this stuff up and that is true, but sometimes I do modify things. The Epistle and Gospel are not the ones appointed in the Sarum Missal for this feast which are Eccles 24:17-21 and Matt 1:1-16. 

I no longer remember why I decided to use the epistle from the Holy Cross Missal instead, but I do remember why I chose to used the Gospel Appointed for the Annunciation. I thought that the reading from Mathew was more appropriate for the feast of Saint Joseph than for the conception of the BVM. The point of the Conception of the BVM is to point to the conception of our Lord and thus to Christmas.


The antiphons for the psalms are from the St. Gregory Antiphoner.

No comments:

Post a Comment