Monday, February 1, 2016

The Introits, Collects, etc. St. Irenaeus, and Ss. Peter and Paul

St. Irenaeus
(Bishop of Lyons )
June 28

The Collect.

ALMIGHTY God, who didst uphold thy servant Irenaeus with strength to maintain the truth against every wind of vain doctrine: We beseech thee to keep us steadfast in thy true religion, that we may walk in constancy and in peace the way that leadeth to eternal life; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

The Epistle. Malachi 2:5-7.

MY covenant was with him of life and peace; and I gave them to him for the fear wherewith he feared me, and was afraid before my name. The law of truth was in his mouth, and iniquity was not found in his lips: he walked with me in peace and equity, and did turn many away from iniquity. For the priest's lips should keep knowledge, and they should seek the law at his mouth: for he is the mes-senger of the LORD of hosts.

The Gospel. St. Luke 11:33-36.

NO man, when he hath lighted a candle, putteth it in a secret place, neither under a bushel, but on a candlestick, that they which come in may see the light. The light of the body is the eye: therefore when thine eye is single, thy whole body also is full of light; but when thine eye is evil, thy body also is full of darkness. Take heed therefore that the light which is in thee be not darkness. If thy whole body therefore be full of light, having no part dark, the whole shall be full of light, as when the bright shining of a candle doth give thee light.

Ss. Peter and Paul
(Apostles and Martyrs)
June 29

Antiphons for the Psalms at Matins and Evensong
1. And the Lord hath said, Thou art Peter, * and upon this rock will I build my Church.
2. O holy Apostle Paul, thou art the chosen Vessel unto God, * to preach the Gospel
throughout the whole world.
3. Peter, the Apostle, and Paul , the Gentile’s teacher: * these have instructed us in thy Law, O Lord.
4. Thou shalt make them Princes in all lands; * they shall remember thy Name, O Lord.
5. Blessed are ye, when men shall hate you, and when they shall separate from you, and shall reproach you, and cast out your name as evil, for the Son of Man’s sake; * rejoice ye, and leap for joy: for behold, your reward is great in heaven.

1st Evensong
The Psalms Appointed
1 & 118

The Readings
Eccls 39:1-10 & John 21:15-22

The Antiphon for the Magnificat
Thou art Shepherd of the Sheep and Prince of the Apostles; * God hath given unto thee, O Peter, the keys of the kingdom of heaven.

Matins
The Psalms Appointed
22 & 67

The Readings
Ezek 2:1-7 & Acts 11:1-18

The Antiphon for the Benedictus
Whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth, shall be bound in heaven:* and whatsoever that shalt loose on earth, shall be loosed in heaven, saith the Lord unto Simon Peter.

Holy Communion

The Introit Psalm Matt 16:18

And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

The Collect

Almighty God, whose blessed apostles Peter and Paul glorified thee by their martyrdom: Grant that thy Church, instructed by their teaching and example, and knit together in unity by thy Spirit, may ever stand firm upon the one foundation, which is Jesus Christ our Lord; who liveth and reigneth with thee, in the unity of the Holy Ghost, ever one God, world without end. Amen.

The Epistle 2 Timothy 4:1-8

I charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus who is to judge the living and the dead, and by his appearing and his kingdom:  preach the word, be urgent in season and out of season, convince, rebuke, and exhort, be unfailing in patience and in teaching.  For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own likings, 4and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander into myths.  As for you, always be steady, endure suffering, do the work of an evangelist, fulfil your ministry. For I am already on the point of being sacrificed; the time of my departure has come.  I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that Day, and not only to me but also to all who have loved his appearing.
The Gradual Ps 31:1-3

IN thee, O LORD, have I put my trust; * let me never be put to confusion; deliver me in thy righteousness.
2 Bow down thine ear to me; * make haste to deliver me,
3 And be thou my strong rock and house of defence, * that thou mayest save me.

The Alleluia Ps 31:4

Alleluia! Alleluia! For thou art my strong rock and my castle: * be thou also my guide, and lead me for thy Name's sake. Alleluia!

The Gospel John 21:15-19

When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” He said to him, “Feed my lambs.”  A second time he said to him, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” He said to him, “Tend my sheep.”  He said to him the third time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” Peter was grieved because he said to him the third time, “Do you love me?” And he said to him, “Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my sheep. Truly, truly, I say to you, when you were young, you girded yourself and walked where you would; but when you are old, you will stretch out your hands, and another will gird you and carry you where you do not wish to go.”  (This he said to show by what death he was to glorify God.) And after this he said to him, “Follow me.”

2nd Evensong
The Psalms Appointed
66 & 138

The Readings
Isa 49:1-6 & Gal 2:1-9

The Antiphon for the Magnificat

This is the day whereon Simon Peter ascended the gibbet of the cross, Alleluia!: * this day did he, that holdeth the keys of the kingdom, depart hence with joy to be with Christ: // this day did the Apostle Paul, the light of the whole world bow his head, * and for Christ's Name's sake receive the crown of his testimony, Alleluia!

No comments:

Post a Comment