Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Twenty-seventh Day Evening Prayer

Evening Prayer

Psalm 126. In convertendo.
Antiphon: Then were we like * unto them that dream.

WHEN the LORD turned again the captivity of Sion, then were we like unto them that dream.
2 Then was our mouth filled with laughter, * and our tongue with joy.
3 Then said they among the heathen, * The LORD hath done great things for them.
4 Yea, the LORD hath done great things for us already; * whereof we rejoice.
5 Turn our captivity, O LORD, * as the rivers in the south.
6 They that sow in tears * shall reap in joy.
7 He that now goeth on his way weeping, and beareth forth good seed, * shall doubtless come
again with joy, and bring his sheaves with him.

Psalm 127. Nisi Dominus.
Antiphon: Happy is the man * that hath his quiver full of them

EXCEPT the LORD build the house, * their labour is but lost that build it.
2 Except the LORD keep the city, * the watchman waketh but in vain.
3 It is but lost labour that ye haste to rise up early, and so late take rest, and eat the bread of carefulness; * for so he giveth his beloved sleep.
4 Lo, children, and the fruit of the womb, * are an heritage and gift that cometh of the LORD.
5 Like as the arrows in the hand of the giant, * even so are the young children.
6 Happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them; * they shall not be ashamed when they speak with their enemies in the gate.

Psalm 128. Beati omnes.
Antiphon: BLESSED are all they * that fear the LORD

BLESSED are all they that fear the LORD, * and walk in his ways.
2 For thou shalt eat the labours of thine hands: * O well is thee, and happy shalt thou be.
3 Thy wife shall be as the fruitful vine * upon the walls of thine house;
4 Thy children like the olive-branches * round about thy table.
5 Lo, thus shall the man be blessed * that feareth the LORD.
6 The LORD from out of Sion shall so bless thee, * that thou shalt see Jerusalem in prosperity all thy life long;
7 Yea, that thou shalt see thy children's children, * and peace upon Israel.

Psalm 129. Saepe expugnaverunt.
Antiphon: Let them be confounded and turned backward, * as many as have evil will at Sion.

MANY a time have they fought against me from my youth up, * may Israel now say;
2 Yea, many a time have they vexed me from my youth up; * but they have not prevailed against me.
3 The plowers plowed upon my back, * and made long furrows.
4 But the righteous LORD * hath hewn the snares of the ungodly in pieces.
5 Let them be confounded and turned backward, * as many as have evil will at Sion.
6 Let them be even as the grass upon the housetops, * which withereth afore it be grown up;
7 Whereof the mower filleth not his hand, * neither he that bindeth up the sheaves his bosom.
8 So that they who go by say not so much as, The LORD prosper you; * we wish you good luck in the Name of the LORD.

Psalm 130. De profundis.
Antiphon: OUT of the deep * have I called unto thee, O LORD

OUT of the deep have I called unto thee, O LORD; * Lord, hear my voice.
2 O let thine ears consider well * the voice of my complaint.
3 If thou, LORD, wilt be extreme to mark what is done amiss, * O Lord, who may abide it?
4 For there is mercy with thee; * therefore shalt thou be feared.
5 I look for the LORD; my soul doth wait for him; * in his word is my trust.
6 My soul fleeth unto the Lord before the morning watch; * I say, before the morning watch.
7 O Israel, trust in the LORD; for with the LORD there is mercy, * and with him is plenteous redemption.
8 And he shall redeem Israel * from all his sins.

Psalm 131. Domine, non est.
Antiphon: O Israel, * trust in the LORD

LORD, I am not high-minded; * I have no proud looks.
2 I do not exercise myself in great matters * which are too high for me.
3 But I refrain my soul, and keep it low, like as a child that is weaned from his mother: * yea, my soul is even as a weaned child.
4 O Israel, trust in the LORD * from this time forth for evermore. 

No comments:

Post a Comment