Friday, March 25, 2016

Eighth Day Morning Prayer

The Eighth Day
Morning Prayer

Psalm 38. Domine, ne in furore.
Antiphon: PUT me not to rebuke, * O LORD, in thine anger.

PUT me not to rebuke, O LORD, in thine anger; * neither chasten me in thy heavy displeasure:
2 For thine arrows stick fast in me, * and thy hand presseth me sore.
3 There is no health in my flesh, because of thy displeasure; * neitheris there any rest in my bones, by reason of my sin.
4 For my wickednesses are gone over my head, * and are like a sore burden, too heavy for me to bear.
5 My wounds stink, and are corrupt, * through my foolishness.
6 I am brought into so great trouble and misery, * that I go mourning all the day long.
7 For my loins are filled with a sore disease, * and there is no whole part in my body.
8 I am feeble and sore smitten; * I have roared for the very disquietness of my heart.
9 Lord, thou knowest all my desire; * and my groaning is not hid from thee.
10 My heart panteth, my strength hath failed me, * and the light of mine eyes is gone from me.
11 My lovers and my neighbours did stand looking upon my trouble, * and my kinsmen stood afar off.
12 They also that sought after my life laid snares for me; * and they that went about to do me evil talked of wickedness, and imagined deceit all the day long.
13 As for me, I was like a deaf man, and heard not; * and as one that is dumb, who doth not open his mouth.
14 I became even as a man that heareth not, * and in whose mouth are no reproofs.
15 For in thee, O LORD, have I put my trust; * thou shalt answer for me, O Lord my God.
16 I have required that they, even mine enemies, should not triumph over me; * for when my foot slipt, they rejoiced greatly against me.
17 And I truly am set in the plague, * and my heaviness is ever in my sight.
18 For I will confess my wickedness, * and be sorry for my sin.
19 But mine enemies live, and are mighty; * and they that hate me wrongfully are many in number.
20 They also that reward evil for good are against me; * because I follow the thing that good is.
21 Forsake me not, O LORD my God; * be not thou far from me.
22 Haste thee to help me, * O Lord God of my salvation.

Psalm 39. Dixi, Custodiam.
Antiphon: That I offend not * in my tongue.

I SAID, I will take heed to my ways, * that I offend not in my tongue.
2 I will keep my mouth as it were with a bridle, * while the ungodly is in my sight.
3 I held my tongue, and spake nothing: * I kept silence, yea, even from good words; but it was pain and grief to me.
4 My heart was hot within me: and while I was thus musing the fire kindled, * and at the last I spake with my tongue:
5 LORD, let me know mine end, and the number of my days; * that I may be certified how long I have to live.
6 Behold, thou hast made my days as it were a span long, and mine age is even as nothing in respect of thee; * and verily every man living is altogether vanity.
7 For man walketh in a vain shadow, and disquieteth himself in vain; * he heapeth up riches, and cannot tell who shall gather them.
8 And now, Lord, what is my hope? * truly my hope is even in thee.
9 Deliver me from all mine offences; * and make me not a rebuke unto the foolish.
10 I became dumb, and opened not my mouth; * for it was thy doing.
11 Take thy plague away from me: * I am even consumed by the means of thy heavy hand.
12 When thou with rebukes dost chasten man for sin, thou makest his beauty to consume away, like as it were a moth fretting a garment: * every man therefore is but vanity.
13 Hear my prayer, O LORD, and with thine ears consider my calling; * hold not thy peace at my tears;
14 For I am a stranger with thee, and a sojourner, * as all my fathers were.
15 O spare me a little, that I may recover my strength, * before I go hence, and be no more seen.

Psalm 40. Expectans expectavi.
Antiphon: Thou art my helper * and redeemer

I WAITED patiently for the LORD, * and he inclined unto me, and heard my calling.
2 He brought me also out of the horrible pit, out of the mire and clay, * and set my feet upon the rock, and ordered my goings.
3 And he hath put a new song in my mouth, * even a thanksgiving unto our God.
4 Many shall see it, and fear, * and shall put their trust in the LORD.
5 Blessed is the man that hath set his hope in the LORD, * and turned not unto the proud, and to such as go about with lies.
6 O LORD my God, great are the wondrous works which thou hast done, like as be also thy thoughts, which are to us-ward; * and yet there is no man that ordereth them unto thee.
7 If I should declare them, and speak of them, * they should be more than I am able to express.
8 Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, * but mine ears hast thou opened.
9 Burnt-offering and sacrifice for sin hast thou not required: * then said I, Lo, I come;
10 In the volume of the book it is written of me, that I should fulfil thy will, O my God: * I am content to do it; yea, thy law is within my heart.
11 I have declared thy righteousness in the great congregation: * lo, I will not refrain my lips, O LORD, and that thou knowest.
12 I have not hid thy righteousness within my heart; * my talk hath been of thy truth, and of thy salvation.
13 I have not kept back thy loving mercy and truth * from the great congregation.
14 Withdraw not thou thy mercy from me, O LORD; * let thy loving-kindness and thy truth alway preserve me.
15 For innumerable troubles are come about me; my sins have taken such hold upon me, that I am not able to look up; * yea, they are more in number than the hairs of
my head, and my heart hath failed me.
16 O LORD, let it be thy pleasure to deliver me; * make haste, O LORD, to help me.
17 Let them be ashamed, and confounded together, that seek after my soul to destroy it; * let them be driven backward, and put to rebuke, that wish me evil.
18 Let them be desolate, and rewarded with shame, * that say unto me, Fie upon thee! fie upon thee!
19 Let all those that seek thee, be joyful and glad in thee; * and let such as love thy salvation, say alway, The LORD be praised.
20 As for me, I am poor and needy; * but the Lord careth for me.

21 Thou art my helper and redeemer; * make no long tarrying, O my God.

No comments:

Post a Comment