Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Sacramental Hymns: Holy Communion 447-456

447
Deck thyself, my soul, with gladness – J Franck / C Winkworth trans

Deck thyself, my soul, with gladness,
leave the gloomy haunts of sadness,
come into the daylight's splendor,
there with joy thy praises render
unto him whose grace unbounded
hath this wondrous banquet founded;
high o'er all the heavens he reigneth,
yet to dwell with thee he deigneth.

Now I sink before thee lowly,
filled with joy most deep and holy,
as with trembling awe and wonder
on thy mighty acts I ponder;
how, by mystery surrounded,
depths no man hath ever sounded,
none may dare to pierce unbidden
secrets that with thee are hidden.

Sun, who all my life dost brighten;
Light, who dost my soul enlighten;
Joy, the sweetest man e'er knoweth;
Fount, whence all my being floweth:
at thy feet I cry, my Maker,
let me a fit partaker
of this blessed food from heaven,
for our good, thy glory, given.

Jesus, Bread of life, I pray thee,
let me gladly here obey thee;
never to my hurt invited,
be thy love with love requited;
from this banquet let me measure,
Lord, how vast and deep its treasure;
through the gifts thou here dost give me,
as thy guest in heaven receive me.

448
Come with us, O blessed Jesus – J Hopkins

Come with us, O blessèd Jesus,
with us evermore to be;
and in leaving now thine altar,
O let us not leave thee!
Let thy sweet angel chorus
not cease their heavenly strain,
but in us, thy loving children,
bring peace, good will to men.

Thou art God from everlasting,
God of God and Light of Light;
thou art God, thy glory veiling,
that men may bear the sight.
Beyond these walls O follow us,
our daily life to share,
that in us thy great and glorious light
may shine forth everywhere.

Thou art man, of Mary Virgin,
born for us in Bethlehem;
thou art man, with griefs and sorrows,
and thorns for a diadem.
For ever thou art one with us
our life, our love divine;
our flesh and blood art thou, Lord;
and thou hast given us thine.

Born a babe, yet our Creator;
born a babe, yet God on high:
born a babe, O Son of David,
thy kingdom now is nigh.
Before thy cross victorious
O make thy foes to fall,
till the whole world sing Hosanna,
and own thee Lord of all.

449
Bread of heaven, on thee we feed – J Conder

Bread of heaven, on thee we feed,
for thy Flesh is meat indeed;
ever may our souls be fed
with this true and living Bread;
day by day with strength supplied
through the life of him who died.

Vine of heaven, thy Blood supplies
this blest Cup of sacrifice;
'tis thy wounds our healing give,
to thy cross we look and live:
Thou our life! oh let me be
grafted, rooted, built in thee.

Original version:
Bread of heaven, on thee I feed,
for thy flesh is meat indeed:
ever may my soul be fed
with this true and living bread;
day by day with strength supplied
through the life of him who died.

Vine of heaven, thy blood supplies
this blest cup of sacrifice:
'tis thy wounds my healing give;
to thy cross I look and live:
thou my life, oh let me be
rooted, grafted, built on thee!

450
Shepherd of souls, refresh and bless – Morovian & J Montgomery

Shepherd of souls, refresh and bless
thy chosen pilgrim flock
with manna in the wilderness,
with water from the rock.

We would not live by bread alone,
but by thy word of grace,
in strength of which we travel on
to our abiding place.

Be known to us in breaking bread,
and do not then depart;
Savior, abide with us, and spread
thy table in our heart.

Lord, sup with us in love divine,
thy Body and thy Blood,
that living bread, that heavenly wine,
be our immortal food.

451
Glory, love, and praise, and honor – C Wesley

Glory, love, and praise, and honor
for our food
now bestowed
render we the Donor.
Bounteous God, we now confess thee:
God who thus
blessest us,
meet it is to bless thee.

Thankful for our every blessing,
let us sing
Christ the Spring,
never, never ceasing.
Source of all our gifts and graces,
Christ we own;
Christ alone
calls for all our praises.

He dispels our sin and sadness,
life imparts,
cheers our hearts,
fills with food and gladness.
Who himself for all has given,
us he feeds,
us he leads
to a feast in heaven.

452
I come with joy to meet my Lord – B Wren

I come with joy to meet my Lord,
forgiven, loved, and free,
in awe and wonder to recall
his life laid down for me.

I come with Christians far and near
to find, as all are fed,
the new community of love
in Christ's communion bread.

As Christ breaks bread and bids us share,
each proud division ends.
That love that made us makes us one,
and strangers now are friends.

And thus with joy we meet our Lord.
His presence, always near,
is in such friendship better known:
we see and praise him here.

Together met, together bound,
we'll go our different ways,
and as his people in the world,
we'll live and speak his praise.

453
Lord, enthroned in heavenly splendor – G Bourne

Lord, enthroned in heavenly splendor,
first-begotten from the dead.
Thou alone, our strong defender,
liftest up thy people's head.
Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!
Jesus, true and living bread!
Jesus, true and living bread!

Here our humblest homage pay we,
here in loving reverence bow;
here for faith's discernment pray we,
lest we fail to know thee now.
Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!
Thou art here, we ask not how.
Thou art here, we ask not how.

Though the lowliest form doth veil thee
as of old in Bethlehem,
here as there thine angels hail thee,
branch and flower of Jesse's stem.
Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!
We in worship join with them.
We in worship join with them.

Paschal Lamb, thine offering, finished
once for all when thou was slain,
in its fullness undiminished
shall for evermore remain.
Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!
Cleansing souls from every stain.
Cleansing souls from every stain.

Life-imparting heavenly Manna,
stricken Rock with streaming side,
heaven and earth with loud hosanna
worship thee, the Lamb who died.
Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!
Risen, ascended, glorified!
Risen, ascended, glorified!

454
You, Lord, we praise in songs of celebration – R Schulz-Widmar

455
When Jesus died to save us – B Tucker & J Donne

He was the Word that spake it,
he took the bread and brake it,
and what that Word did make it,
I do believe and take it.

456
Let us break bread together on our knees – Af-Am Spiritual


Let us break bread together on our knees,
let us break bread together on our knees.
When I fall on my knees with my face to the rising sun,
O Lord, have mercy on me.

Let us drink wine together on our knees,
let us drink wine together on our knees.
When I fall on my knees with my face to the rising sun,
O Lord, have mercy on me.

Let us praise God together on our knees,
let us praise God together on our knees.
When I fall on my knees with my face to the rising sun,
O Lord, have mercy on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment